UCL Laws Careers
UCL Laws has one to one careers guidance, exclusively for students of the Faculty, taking place in office 408 each Monday through to Thursday.
The one to one guidance with Stephen Gurman consists of Short Guidance sessions, Practice Interviews and longer Career Discussions. In addition to the sessions being provided in the Faculty, you are still free to use the services at the central UCL Careers Service.
Term Time Timetable
For Short Guidance sessions during term time, the timetable is as follows:
Monday: 2 – 4pm
Wednesday 3 – 5.30pm
Thursday 11.30am – 12.30pm
Tuesday 2 – 4pm
Wednesday 2 – 3 pm
Thursday 2 – 4 pm
(please note that these times are subject to change, see the sign up sheet each morning for any alterations)
Short Guidance Sessions
"Short Guidance" is a confidential one to one discussion with the Careers Consultant (15 minutes per appointment for LLB students and 30 minutes for LLM students). You are free to attend as many Short Guidance sessions as you like, but not more than one in a day.
The sessions can be used to discuss a range of issues such as:
- decisions about life after UCL, e.g. choosing between work , further study or professional training
- planning your next steps to get where you want to be
- how to get work experience, internships, vacation schemes and mini-pupillages
- how to market your degree, skills and/or experience to employers
- advice on CVs and application forms
- what to expect at interviews or assessment centres
- options related to your degree
- changing or leaving your course
How to Book
Each morning a sign-up sheet will be outside 408, appointments are allocated on a first come first served basis and are subject to availability.
These are available in the mornings Monday – Thursday.
This role-play exercise will help you practice typical interview questions for the role you've applied for (including vacation schemes, training contracts, pupillages and roles outside of legal careers) and help you to work on your interview technique.
You'll receive feedback on your performance during the session and have chance to address any other concerns you have about the interview process. We aim to make practice interviews as similar to the real thing as possible so you must have a real interview invite before booking.
Practice interviews last for up to an hour and will be a mixture of typical interview questions and feedback.
How to Book
To book a Practice Interview go to the link; www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/students/skills/interviews/adviser
and click on the “Availability and Booking of Appointments” menu to find the booking form and instructions on where to send you completed form.
Practice Interviews are held in the Faculty of Laws in the morning on Monday – Thursday in 408.
Please indicate on the form that you would like your Practice Interview to be with the Laws Careers Consultant in the Faculty.
These are hour long, in-depth guidance appointments. They are only available by referral from the Careers Consultant after an initial Short Guidance session for those who will benefit from a more in-depth discussion.
You'll be emailed a booking form with a range of questions to complete which serves two purposes:
- to encourage self-analysis and ensure you're very clear about what areas you want to discuss in more detail and what you want to get out of the hour long session
- to give the Careers Consultant enough information in advance so that they can be fully prepared for the types of questions that are likely to come up during the session.