Centre for Commercial Law
B.Sc UWO, LL.B Toronto, D.Phil Oxon, barrister of Lincoln’s Inn
Professor of Law
Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 1451 | iinternal: x21451
PA: Louise Barlow
+44 (0)207 679 1404 | internal: x21404
James Penner (B.Sc UWO, LL.B Toronto, D.Phil Oxon, barrister of Lincoln’s Inn) was appointed Professor of Property Law at UCL in 2008. He has been a visiting Professor at the University of Alberta, the University of Queensland, and Jilin University. For more than a decade he was the deputy chief examiner of the Law of Trusts for the University of London External LL.B, and now serves the programme in the capacity of Chief Examiner in Jurisprudence. He is an editor of Trust Law International.
Professor Penner writes on trusts law, the law and philosophy of property, and generally in the philosophy of law.
- The Law of Trusts 6th Ed (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008)
- McCoubrey and White’s Textbook on Jurisprudence 4th Ed.(Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008)
- The Idea of Property in Law, (Oxford University Press, January 1997) Winner of the 1997 SPTL first prize for Outstanding Legal Scholarship
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Property, Value, and Trusts of Traceable Proceeds” forthcoming in Robert Chambers, Charles Mitchell, and James Penner (eds) Philosophical Foundations of Unjust Enrichment (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009)
- ‘Property, Community, and the Problem of Distributive Justice’, (2009) 10 Theoretical Inquiries in Law 121-144
- (with Professor Robert Chambers) ‘Ignorance’ in J Edelman & S. Degeling (eds) Equity and Commercial Law (Sydney: Lawbook Co., 2008) 253-74
- ‘Duty and Liability in Respect of Funds’ in J Lowry and L Mistelis (eds.), Commercial Law: Perspectives and Practice (London: LexisNexis Butterworths, 2006), 207-225
- 'Ownership, Co-ownership, and the Justification of Property Rights', in T Endicott, J Getzler, and E Peel (eds.), Properties of Law:Essays in Honour of Jim Harris (Oxford: OUP, 2006), 166-188
- ‘The Common Law Controversy over the Nature of the Trust’ in S Nassare Asnar & M.Garrido Melero (eds.), Los Patrimonios Fiduciarios y el Trust, (Madrid: College Notarial de Cataluna, 2006)
- “Misled by ‘Property’” (2005) XVIII Canadian Journal of Law and Jurisprudence, Special Issue on the Philosophy of Taxation, 75-93
- ‘Decent Burials for Dead Concepts’ (2005) 58 Current Legal Problems 313-42
- “Lord Millett’s Analysis” in Swadling, WJ, The Quistclose Trust: Critical Essays (a book concerning the legal nature and limitations on the use of a particular kind of English commercial trust) (Oxford: Hart, 2004), 41-66.
- “Legal Reasoning and the Authority of Law” in Paulson, S., Pogge, T., and Meyer, L.(eds.), Rights, Culture, and the Law: Themes from the Legal and Political Philosophy of Joseph Raz (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003), 71-97.
- “Exemptions” in P.B.H. Birks and A. Pretto, (eds.), Breach of Trust (Oxford: Hart, 2002), 241-68.
- “Nuisance, the Morality of Neighbourliness, and Environmental Protection” in Lowry, J and Edmonds, R (eds), Environmental Protection and the Common Law (Oxford: Hart, 2000), 27-49.
- “Common Law Cognition and Judicial Appointment” (2000) 38 Alberta Law Review 683
- “Cognitive Science, Legal Theory, and the Possibility of an Observation/Theory distinction in Morality and Law” (1998) 1 Current Legal Issues: Law and Science 1-34.
- "The Analysis of Rights" (1997) 10 Ratio Juris 300-15
- “Basic Obligations” in P.B.H. Birks (ed.) The Classification of Obligations (Oxford University Press, 1997), 91-122.
- “Hohfeldian Use-Rights in Property” in J.W.Harris (ed.) , Property Problems: From Genes to Pension Funds (London: Kluwer, 1997), 164-74.
- "The ‘Bundle of Rights’ Picture of Property" (1996) 43(3) UCLA Law Review 711-820
- "Voluntary Obligations and the Scope of the Law of Contract" (1996) 2(4) Legal Theory 325-57
Property I and Property II
International and Comparative Commercial Restitution (with Professors Rob Chambers and Rob Stevens)
Professor Penner welcomes approaches from prospective doctoral students in the areas of trusts, property, and the philosophy of law.
This page last modified
26 November, 2012