UCL Laws People
BA (1967), MA (1970), LLM (1970), Barrister (1969)
Richard Gardiner is a Visiting Professor.
He was formerly a Research Associate, Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy USA 1970-1971; practising barrister 1972-74; assistant legal adviser Foreign & Commonwealth Office 1975-86 and at Law Officer's Dept. 1983-86 before joining the Faculty in 1986. His main areas of interest are public international law, air law, intellectual property. Other interests: Private international law, human rights, European community/union law and public law.
Richard's research interests include Foreign Relations Law and Air Law.
- Treaty Interpretation, (OUP 2008)
- International Law (Pearson/Longman, 2003) ISBN 0-582-36976-2 (Paperback) 504 pages + xlii and index. See website
- Service Issues for Shawcross and Beaumont on Air Law, April and December each year, (as one of the editors)
- Treaty Relations in the Law of Carriage by Air: Article 55(1) of the Montreal Convention  The Aviation Quarterly 245 - 261
- The Warsaw Convention
at Threescore Years and Ten (1999) XXIV Air & Space
Law 114 - 120
Revising the Law of Carriage by Air: Mechanisms in Treaties and Contract (1998) 47 ICLQ 278 - 305
- Treaties and Treaty Materials: Role, Relevance and
Accessibility (1997) 46 ICLQ 643 - 662
"Interpreting Treaties in the United Kingdom" in Legislation and the Courts (ed Michael Freeman) (1997) 115-132;
- Treaty Interpretation in the English Courts since Fothergill v Monarch Airlines (1980), (1995) 44 ICLQ 620-628;
- Language and the Law of Patents 47 Current Legal Problems (1994), 255-285;
- Air Law's Fog: The Application of International and English Law in 43 Current Legal Problems (eds. Rideout, R. and Hepple, B.) (1990), 159-184;
- Air and Space Law: Laying the Track and Leaving the Rails in Perestroika and International Law (ed. Butler, W.E.) (1990), 165-176;
- United Kingdom Air Services Agreements 1970 to 1980 (1982) VII Air Law 2-10;
- Industrial and Intellectual Property rights: Their Nature and the Law of the European Communities (1972) 88 Law Quarterly Review 507-529;
This page last modified 29 March, 2009 by Laws Webmaster