UCL Laws People
LLB (2004), LLM (2005), M.Phil (2006), DPhil (2010)
Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 1452| internal: x21452
Martins Paparinskis joined the Faculty of Laws in September 2013. Before that, he was a Junior Research Fellow in Merton College, University of Oxford and a Hauser Research Scholar in New York University. Martins holds MJur, MPhil, and DPhil degrees from the University of Oxford, and an undegraduate degree from the University of Latvia.
Martins is a book review editor of the Journal of World Investment and Trade, a member of the International Law Association's Study Group on the Use of Domestic Law Principles for the Development of International Law, and a member of the Council of Independent Experts in International and European Law with the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Latvia. In January 2014, he was designated to the Panel of Arbitrators of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes.
Martins is a general international lawyer with a particular interest in international dispute settlement, international investment law, law of State responsibility, and law of treaties.
- Paparinskis, M. (2012). Basic Documents on International Investment Protection. Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Paparinskis, M. (2013). The International Minimum Standard and Fair and Equitable Treatment (Oxford Monographs in International Law). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Chapters in Books
- Paparinskis, M. (2014). Analogies and Other Regimes of International Law. In Z. Douglas, J. Pauwelyn, J. E. Viñuales (Eds.), The Foundations of International Investment Law: Bringing Theory into Practice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Paparinskis, M. (2011). Equivalent Primary Rules and Differential Secondary Rules: Countermeasures in WTO and Investment Protection Law. In T. Broude, Y. Shany (Eds.), Multi-sourced Equivalent Norms in International Law (pp. 259-288). Oxford: Hart.
- Paparinskis, M. (2012). Inherent Powers of ICSID Tribunals: Broad and Rightly so. In I. Laird, T. Weiler (Eds.), Investment Treaty Arbitration and International Law (pp. 11-42). Huntington, New York: JurisNet.
- Paparinskis, M. (2011). Investment Treaty Interpretation and Customary Law: Preliminary Remarks. In C. Brown, K. Miles (Eds.), Evolution in Investment Treaty Law and Arbitration (pp. 65-96). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/CBO9781139043809.009
- Paparinskis, M. (2013). Latvia. In C. Brown (Ed.), Commentaries on Selected Model International Investment Agreements (pp. 425-463). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Paparinskis, M. (2014). Regulating Treaties: A Comparative Perspective. In C. Tams, A. Tzanakopoulos, A. Zimmermann (Eds.), Research Handbook on the Law of Treaties. Edward Elgar.
- Paparinskis, M. (2010). Regulatory Expropriation and Sustainable Development. In M. -. C. Cordonnier-Segger, M. Gehring, A. Newcombe (Eds.), Sustainable Development and World Investment Law (pp. 301-329).
- Paparinskis, M. (2012). Sources of Law and Arbitral Interpretations of Pari Materia Investment Protection Rules. In O. K. Fauchald, A. Nollkaemper (Eds.), The Practice of International and National Courts and the (De-)Fragmentation of International Law (pp. 87-115). Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Paparinskis, M. (2009). Investment Arbitration and the Law of Countermeasures. British Yearbook of International Law, 79 (1), 264-352. doi:10.1093/bybil/79.1.264
- Paparinskis, M. (2013). Investment Treaty Arbitration and the (New) Law of State Responsibility. European Journal of International Law, 24 (2), 617-647. doi:10.1093/ejil/cht025
- Paparinskis, M. (2011). MFN Clauses and International Dispute Settlement: Moving beyond Maffezini and Plama?. ICSID Review, 26 (2), 14-58. doi:10.1093/icsidreview/26.2.14
- Paparinskis, M. (2013). Procedural Aspects of Shared Responsibility in the International Court of Justice. Journal of International Dispute Settlement, 4 (2), 295-318. doi:10.1093/jnlids/idt008
- Mendelson, M., & Paparinskis, M. (2013). Bail-ins and the International Investment Law of Expropriation: in and beyond Cyprus. Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, 28 (8), 475-479.
- Paparinskis, M. (2008). Barcelona Traction -- A Friend of Investment Protection Law. Baltic Yearbook of International Law, 105-133.
- PAPARINSKIS, M. A. R. T. I. N. S. (2012). Investment Law of/for/before the Twenty-First Century. Leiden Journal of International Law, 25 (01), 225-237. doi:10.1017/S0922156511000677
- Paparinskis, M. (2009). Investment Protection Law and Sources of Law: a Critical Look. American Society of International Law Proceedings, 103, 76-79.
- Paparinskis, M. (2012). Limits of Depoliticisation in Contemporary Investor-State Arbitration. Select Proceedings of the European Society of International Law, 3, 271-282.
Public International Law
International Arbitration (co-convenor)
International Criminal Law
International Law of Foreign Investment (convenor)
Martins welcomes approaches for supervision from prospective PhD students.