UCL Laws People
LL.B, LL.M, Barrister (Non-practising)
Ian is a Research Fellow in environmental law based at the Faculty’s Centre for Law and the Environment. He joined the Faculty in May 2004, following the completion of his Masters degree and was called to the Bar in 2002 by Gray’s Inn.
Ian maintains a strong research interest in energy and environmental law and he is the lead researcher on the Carbon Capture Legal Programme, an initiative which aims to provide a comprehensive and authoritative source of objective and up to date legal information on Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS). As the pace of CCS legal and policy development increases, Ian has increasingly played a more active role in the CCS arena, working with the International Energy Agency (IEA) to set up the International CCS Regulators Network and acting as an expert reviewer for the IEA's recent report on CCS, ‘CO 2 Capture and Storage - A Key Abatement Option'. Ian recently assisted with the legal and regulatory analysis for the IEA's Technology Roadmap for CCS, which was published in autumn 2009.
Ian has also worked on other contracted research projects based at the Centre. His most recent work has centred upon domestic and EU environmental law and policy and he has conducted research on behalf of; the European Commission (DG Environment), The Cabinet Office, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, RPS Group plc and Haymarket Media Group.
- Havercroft, I., Macrory, R. & Purdy, R., (eds) (2004) Principles of European Environmental Law, Europa Law Publishing, Groningen
- Havercroft, I. & Macrory, R., (2004) 'Environmental Principles in the United Kingdom', in Macrory, R., Havercroft, I., and Purdy, R., (eds) (2004) Principles of European Environmental Law, Europa Law Publishing, Groningen
- Havercroft, I. and Purdy, R., (2007) Carbon Capture and Storage: Developments under European Union and International Law, Journal for European Environmental and Planning Law, Volume 4(5), pp353-366.
- Havercroft, I. The Comparative Survey (Genetically Modified Organisms), United Kingdom Country Report, Journal for European Environmental and Planning Law, Vol.3 No.1, 2006
- Havercroft, I. United Kingdom Country Report, Journal for European Environmental and Planning Law, Vol.2 No.3, May 2005
- Havercroft, I. United Kingdom Country Report, Journal for European Environmental and Planning Law, Vol.2 No.5, Sept 2005
- Havercroft, I., Coal Past, Present and Future , United Kingdom Environmental Law Association, Annual Conference, Durham, 3-5 July 2009, Forthcoming in Environmental Law and Management (2009) 21
- Havercroft, I. and Purdy, R., Carbon Capture and Storage – A Legal Perspective, Expert Group Meeting: Carbon Capture and Storage and Sustainable Development, Division for Sustainable Development, UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations, New York, 10-11 September 2007
Ian teaches climate change and the legal issues surrounding carbon capture and storage on the undergraduate and postgraduate environmental law courses.
This page last modified 30 September, 2011 by Laws Webmaster