UCL Laws People
HSE-YU (IRIS) CHIU
LLB, LLM , PhD
Iris Chiu joined the Faculty of Law in September 2009. She previously taught at the School of Law, King's College London and the University of Leicester. She was a legislative draftsman and State Counsel at the Attorney-General's Chambers in Singapore prior to joining academia. She read law at the National University of Singapore and the University of Cambridge. She completed her doctorate at the University of Leicester.
Current research interests include company law, corporate governance, international and comparative aspects of corporate law and theory, theoretical aspects of financial regulation, financial regulation in the UK and the EU. Membership of Expert Bodies Member, European Corporate Governance Institute
- The Foundations and Anatomy of Shareholder Activism (Oxford: Hart Publishing, October 2010)
- Regulatory Convergence in EU Securities Regulation (London: Kluwer Law International, 2008)
- "Contextualising Shareholder Disputes: A Way to Reconceptualise Minority Shareholder Remedies" (2006) Journal of Business Law 312
- " The Legal Fabrication of Security Interests in the UK" (2006) 31(3) North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation 101
- "The Paradigms for Mandatory Non-Financial Disclosure: A Conceptual Analysis- Part 1" (2006) Company Lawyer 259
- "The Paradigms for Mandatory Non-Financial Disclosure: A Conceptual Analysis- Part 2" (2006) Company Lawyer 291
- "Replacing the Default Rule of Priority for Secured Creditors: Some Reservations" (2006) Journal of Business Law 644
- "Delegated Regulatory Administration in EU Securities Regulation" (2007) 40 International Lawyer 737
- "Securities Intermediaries in the Internet Age and the Traditional Model of Principal-Agent Regulation: Some Observations from EU Securities Regulation" (2007) Virginia Business and Law Review 307
- "The Role of Securities Disclosure Regulation in Investor Protection Relating to Corporate Insolvency? Some Observations of the US, EU and UK Regulatory Frameworks" (2008) Company Lawyer 35
- "The Nature of a Financial Investment Intermediary's Duty to his Client" (2008) Legal Studies 254
- "The Role of a Company's Constitution in Corporate Governance" (2009) Journal of Business Law (forthcoming)
- "The Meaning of Ownership and the Governance Role of Shareholder Activism in the UK" (2009) 8(2) Richmond Journal of Global Law and Business 117
- "Investor Protection in Hong Kong" in Company Law: Practice and Procedure (Hong Kong: Sweet & Maxwell Asia 2007)
- "Three Challenges Ahead in EU Securities Regulation" in Resource Allocation and Institutions: Explorations in Economics, Finance and Law (Athens: Athens Institute of Research and Education 2006) pp237-254 (ISBN: 960-6672-01-8).
- "On the Identification of an EU Legal Norm" in P Eeckhout and T Tridimas eds, Yearbook of European Law 2007 (Oxford: Oxford University Press 2008) at 193-218
- "IPOs in Times of Global Turmoil" in D Prentice and A Reisberg eds, Corporate Finance Law: UK and EU Perspectives (Oxford: Oxford University Press 2010, forthcoming)
Major Conference Papers
- "A Meta-Legal Principle for Maximum Regulatory Convergence in Securities Regulation in the EU" presented at the conference "Europeanisation: Theories and Researching on the Impact of Europe" organised by the Department of Political Science, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Feb 16, 2006.
- "Securities Intermediaries in the Internet Age and the Traditional Principal-Agent Model of Regulation: Some Observations from the EU's Markets in Financial Instruments Directive" presented at the International Business, Law and Technology Conference, Copenhagen, 5-7 Dec 2006.
- "The Role of Securities Disclosure Regulation in Investor Protection Relating to Corporate Insolvency? Some Observations of the US, EU and UK Regulatory Frameworks" presented at the 25th International Economic Crime Symposium, Jesus College, Cambridge, 3-9 Sep 2007.
- "The Meaning of Ownership and its Implications for Shareholders' Role in Corporate Governance", paper presented at the 6th International Critical Management Conference,13-15 July 2009, Warwick Business School, UK.
- "Standardisation and Individualisation in Corporate Social Responsibility Reporting", paper to be presented at the 5th Global Conference on Social Responsibility, Lisbon, 23-25 September 2010.
- "Shareholders as Stewards? The Role of Institutional Monitoring in Corporate Governance", paper to be presented at the 28th Cambridge International Symposium on Economic Crime, Jesus College, Cambridge, 5-12 September 2010.
Regulation of Financial Markets
Iris Chiu welcomes approaches for supervision from prospective PhD students. She is currently supervising: