UCL Laws People
|DANAE (or DANAI) AZARIA
Law Degree (Thessaloniki), LL.M. (Athens), LL.M. (UCL), Ph.D. (UCL)
Lecturer in Law
Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 1444| internal: x21444
Danae (or Danai) Azaria joined the Faculty of Laws as a Lecturer in Law in 2013. Before joining UCL, Danae held positions as a Lecturer in Law at City University London, and as a teaching fellow at UCL. She holds a Ph.D. and LL.M. from UCL, a LL.M. from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, and completed her undergraduate studies in law at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and the Université de Strasbourg – Robert Schuman. She has received scholarships for her studies from the Hellenic State Scholarship Foundation and the Academy of Athens. She is also an advocate of the Athens Bar in Greece.
Danae has worked as a researcher at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, the British Institute of International and Comparative Law in London, the Financial Markets Law Committee at the Bank of England in London, and the Energy Charter Secretariat in Brussels. She was also a contracted legal expert for the Council of Europe. From January to June 2013, she was a visiting scholar at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg on a scholarship from the Max Planck Society. In 2013, she worked at the UN Office in Geneva (International Law Commission), as legal assistant to the Special Rapporteur of the ILC, Georg Nolte. She was also a UN scholar at the UN International Law Seminar in Geneva.
Since 2012, she has been a UK representative (substitute) at the Management Committee of the Network of experts on the legal aspects of Maritime Safety and Security (MARSAFNET – COST Action IS1105) funded by the European Union, and a member of the Working Group on New Developments in Economic Activities at Sea.
Her monograph, Treaties on Transit of Energy via Pipelines and Countermeasures, will be published by Oxford University Press in 2014 in the series Oxford Monographs of International Law.
Danae is a general public international lawyer with particular interest in
- the law of treaties
- the law of international responsibility
- international law on energy and natural resources
- the settlement of international disputes
Treaties on Transit of Energy via Pipelines and Countermeasures (OUP, Oxford, forthcoming 2014) (Series: Oxford Monographs in International Law)
Articles and Contributions to Collective Works
- ‘The Exception of Non-Performance’, in R. Wolfrum (ed.), Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law (OUP, forthcoming 2014)
- ‘State Obligations under Bespoke Pipeline Treaties and their Relationship to Other Treaty Obligations’, in Ν. Farantouris, Energy and Networks (Nomiki Vivliothiki, Athens 2014) [in Greek]
- ‘Energy Transit under the Energy Charter Treaty and the General Agreement for Tariffs and Trade’, 27(4) Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law (2009) 557-593
- ‘Minimum standards of protection to individuals involved in transnational proceedings’, in Extradition - European Standards (Council of Europe 2007) (75 pp)
- ‘The Nature of the Iraqi Special Tribunal: Re-definition of the Relationship between the International and National Legal Order’, in International Criminal Justice as a Mechanism for the Promotion of International Law, (ILA, Hellenic Branch 2006) (18 pp) [in Greek]
Selected Shorter Articles, Notes, and Expert Reports
Case Notes for Oxford Reports on International Law in Domestic Courts:
- R (on the application of Khan) v Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, ILDC 1965 (UK 2012)
- British Arab Commercial Bank plc v Transitional Council of the State of Libya, Declaratory Judgment, ILDC 1807 (UK 2011)
‘Energy Transit under the Energy Charter Treaty and the General Agreement for Tariffs and Trade’, WTO website on the 2010 WTO Report on Natural Resources: http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/publications_e/wtr10_8june10_e.htm
‘Code of Minimum Standards of Protection to individuals involved in Transnational Proceedings’, Expert Report, PC-TJ (2005) 07, Council of Europe, European Committee on Crime Problems (CDPC), Committee of Experts on Transnational Criminal Justice (PC-TJ), Strasbourg, 16 September 2005 (75 pp)
Public International Law
EU and Human Rights Law(2013-14)
Law of Treaties (convenor)
International Energy Law (convenor)
Regional Aspects of International Energy Law: the European Union (convenor)
International Environmental Law
Danae welcomes approaches for supervision of Ph.D. candidates in international energy law, the law of treaties, and the law of international responsibility.