Joint Research Office
- What does the JRO do?
- Post Approval
- Academic Clinical Trials
- Commercial Research
- Training and Education
- Patient and Public Involvement
- Funding Opportunities
- JRO News
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Clinical Trials Units (CTUs)
- UCLH Patient Flag
- Information and tools to help prepare your study submitted to the JRO
Biostatistics Group at the Research Support Centre
Aim of the Biostatistics Group
To design and analyse health studies and conduct research on statistical methodology required for the solution of biomedical problems.
- Biostatistics Group staff: 7 statisticians led by a Professor of Medical Statistics. Staff have joint appointments with the UCL Department of Statistical Science, PRIMENT Clinical Trials Unit, Institute of Neurology and Institute of Women’s Health.
- Expertise: Drug trials (all phases), Complex intervention and Health services trials, Observational studies, Meta-analysis, Development of risk prediction algorithms, Health economic evaluation.
Biostatistics Group activities
1. Collaborate with health researchers on grant applications and research projects:
Statisticians from the group are co-applicants on numerous successful grants from funders such as NIHR, Wellcome Trust and the MRC.
- Practical Statistics for Medical Research: 4 day short course with 21 CPD points
- Biostatistics Weblectures
- Research Methods modules on MSc in Drug Discovery
- Medical Statistics modules on MSc in Statistics (Medical Statistics)
3. Advice on Study Design for Research Projects:
- How to obtain advice from the Biostatistics Group
- Protocol guidelines for observational studies and clinical trials (non-CTIMPS)
4. Research on statistical methodology:
Lead applicant on MRC methodology project grants on risk prediction and cost-effectiveness.
5. Statistical review of clinical trial protocols as part of the UCL sponsorship process
How to seek Biostatistics Group collaboration & advice
This is available to biomedical researchers at UCLH and Royal Free Trusts and UCL Medical School (but not to students or for animal studies)
- Advice is free
- Statistical collaboration will require funding and involvement from the design stage
Please contact the Biostatistics Group at an early stage (i.e.design) and leave good time before deadlines (at least 2 months).