Dr Vieri Samek-Lodovici
Reader in Linguistics
phone: +44 20 7679 2574
Research areas: Information structure (focus, topics), optimality theory, comparative syntax, Italian syntax and morphology.
investigating the syntactic representation of information structure (focus,
topics, etc.) and the role played by prosody in determining it.
Recent publications include:
- Constraint Conflict and Information Structure. Hanbook of Information Structure, C. Féry and S. Ishihara (eds), Cambridge University Press, to appear.
- Optimality Theory as a Possible Framework for the Minimalist Programme. In The Bloomsbury Companion to Syntax, S. Luraghi and C. Parodi (eds), Bloomsbury Publishing, 2013.
- Optimality Theory and the Minimalist Program. In Linguistic Derivations and Filtering, H. Broekhuis and R. Vogel (eds), Equinox, 2013.
- On the Ungrammaticality of Remnant Movement in the Derivation of Greenberg's Universal 20, with Sam Steddy. Linguistic Inquiry, 2011.
- Prosodic Phrasing and the Syntax of Noun-Phrases, with Nicole Dehe', Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, 2009.
- Topic, Focus, and Background in Italian Clauses, in Focus and Background in Romance Languages, A. Dufter and D. Jakob (eds), Johns Benjamin, 2009.
- Final and non-Final Focus in Italian DPs, Lingua, 2009.
- Optimality Theory, in The Linguistic Encyclopedia, K.Malmkjaer (ed.), Routledge, 2009.
- An Invitation to OT Syntax and Semantics. In Studies in OT Syntax and Semantics, V. Samek-Lodovici (ed.), 2007.
- Optimality Theory and the Minimalist Program, Linguistics in Postdam, 2007.
- Focus Projection and Prosodic Prominence in Nested Foci, with Caroline Fery, Language, 2006.
- When Right-Dislocation Meets the Left-Periphery – A Unified Analysis of Italian Non-final Focus, Lingua, 2006.
- Absence of Stress Culmination and Prosodic Phrasing. In Wondering at the Natural Fecundity of Things: Essays in Honour of Alan Prince, J. Ito, E. Bakovic, J. Mc Carthy (eds.), 2006.
- Prosody-Syntax Interactions in the Expression of Focus, Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, 2005.
- 'The Internal Structure of Argument', Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, 2003.
Further information and a full list of publications are available on IRIS