Professor John Foot
Professor of Modern Italian History
phone: +44 20 7679 3421
Professor John Foot will be working full time from 2011-2013 on a two-year project fully funded by the Wellcome Trust looking into the life and work of the Italian psychiatrist Franco Basaglia and the process of closure of mental asylums in Italy from the 1960s to the present day.
Research areas: modern Italian history , urban history, the history of Milan, immigration in the twentieth century, cultural and social history, Italian politics, the Resistance, micro and oral historical approaches, sport and history (football and cycling), memory and history, Franco Basaglia and mental health reform in Italy.
- Milan since the Miracle. City, Culture, Identity, Berg, Oxford, 2001
- Milano dopo il miracolo. Biografia di una citta', Fetrinelli, Milan, 2003
- Disastro! Disasters in Italy since 1860: Culture, Politics, Society (edited with John Dickie and Frank Snowden), St Martins/Palgrave, New York, 2002
- Pero: Città di immigrazione: 1950-1970, Comune di Pero, 2002
- City and Identity in Italy. Special issue of Modern Italy, 7,2, 2002 (edited with Robert Lumley), Exeter University Press, 2003, Modern Italy, Palgrave, 2003
- Calcio. A History of Italian Football, 4th Estate, London, 2006
- Calcio. 1898 - 2007. Storia dello sport che ha fatto l'Italia, Rizzoli, Milan 2007
- Fratture d'Italia. Da Caporetto al G8 di Genova. La memoria divisa del paese, Rizzoli, Milano, 2009.
- Italy's Divided Memory, Palgrave, London, 2010.
- Pedalare! Pedalare! A History of Italian Cycling, Bloomsbury, 2011.
- Pedalare! La grande avventura del ciclismo, Rizzoli, Milan, 2011.
Professor Foot was project manager on the AHRC-funded 'Memory and Place' project and Director of the documentary film 'Piazzale Lugano, 22. Story of a House' (2004).
Further information and a full list of publications are available on IRIS