International Student Support



There are various types of accommodation available to you in London. You may find that you are able to secure UCL accommodation, or need to source your own housing in the private sector. 

Before you travel to the UK

If you are seeking accommodation in the private sector, it is a good idea to arrange temporary accommodation so that you have somewhere to stay when you first arrive in London. 

University Accommodation

UCL provides a range of accommodation options, including catered and self-catered Halls of Residence and Student Houses. There are also several catered Intercollegiate Halls of Residence available to students attending UCL and any college of the University of London (living with students from other universities). 

If you have any queries about UCL managed accommodation, please contact our Student Accommodation team at residences@ucl.ac.uk or call +44 (0)20 7679 6322 and they will be happy to assist.

Private Accommodation

University of London Housing Services provides information and advice on private accommodation to all students of the University of London (including UCL). They have a range of properties which they rent out and have a database of accommodation which is regularly updated. They can also look at your housing contract before you sign it to check for any potential problems. 

If you have queries for the University of London Housing Services, please visit their website. Alternatively, you can reach them via email housing@lon.ac.uk or call +44 (0)20 7862 8880.

Students' Union UCL Advice Service offers guidance on renting accommodation and can advise on any housing issues or concerns you may have.


Unfortunately there are a number of scams which target students so please be wary of these when searching for accommodation. You should not send money to anyone for accommodation prior to viewing the property, verifying that the person is the actual landlord and seeing the tenancy agreement.

In particular, you should be very suspicious of anyone asking you to send money via a payment service like Western Union, Bidpay or Money Gram.

Council tax

Council tax is a system of local taxation collected by local authorities. Please look at the specific pages about council tax for further information about exemption as a student.

Please note that you are only eligible for council tax exemption from the official start date of your course which can be found on your Statement of Student Status letter. This means that if you move into your accommodation before the official start date of your course, you will have to pay council tax for this period of time.

Right to Rent

From 1 February 2016 private landlords are required to check their tenants' immigration status before granting a tenancy agreement, to make sure that the tenant has a 'right to rent'. Please see the Right to Rent pages for further information and guidance.