Composing & replying
Composing a message
To compose and send a message, click on the Compose option at the top of the SquirrelMail screen.
In the To: field enter the email address of the person you wish to send a message to. You can also send to multiple users - enter their address one after the other, separated with a comma. You can also search for people in your address book, or use Autocomplete to automatically insert addresses in the To: field when you start to type. See "Creating an address book" in the SquirrelMail guide menu for more details.
If you are in the middle of a message, and click away from the compose message screen, you can go back to it by clicking on the Compose option again. When you do this, the following message will appear:
At this point you have two options:
- If you wish to return to the message and continue working on it, click OK
- If you do not want to return to the message and have no need to save it, click Cancel. A new compose window will appear.
Compose a message in a new window
You can set SquirrelMail to open a new window when you wish to compose a mesage.
To do this:
1. Click on Options in the toolbar:
2. Select Display preferences from the list.
3. Scroll down to the header: Message Display and Composition. Under this you will see an option which reads Compose Messages in New Window.
4. Select Yes
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Submit button to save your changes.
Saving a draft
If you begin to compose a message but are not quite ready to send it, you can save the message to the Drafts folder until a later time, by clicking on the Save Draft button.
To go back to the saved message, open the Drafts folder (located in your folder list), and open the message. You can then complete the message and send it, or save the draft again to be worked on later. Once you have sent the message, the draft email will be removed from the Draft folder.
Forwarding and replying
To reply to a message, you must first click on the message you wish to reply to. Once the message has opened, you will see the Reply/Reply All options in the top right hand corner of the SquirrelMail screen:
To forward a message, you can either:
- Put a tick in the box next to the message you wish to forward, then click on the Forward button:
- Open the message you want to forward, and click on the Forward button on the top right hand corner of the screen.