Adding an External Source
An external source is like a 'widget' or an 'app' for your website: an additional item that has been set up to provide extra functionality to your website.
For example, there is an external source that provides you with a carousel for images, i.e. showing each image for a short time before moving on to the next image.
Another external source allows you to place the HTML for a YouTube video on a web page.
If you feel there is a need for a specific external source, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
A number of external sources will be covered on the Silva Advanced Features training course. Once you have experienced adding a few, you will find it relatively easy to add any other external source.
We strongly advise you not to 'nest' external sources i.e. to place one external source INSIDE another as this may cause the external sources to break.
For example, it is not a good idea to place an accordion INSIDE a tabbed box.
How to add an external source
Place the cursor where you want the external source to appear in your document then click add external source. Please note that the external sources may vary depending on the publication and or template you are using.
Available external sources
These are listed in the same way that Kupu lists them in the external source toolbar. Those marked with an asterisk (*) will only work in the 'UCL Corporate Identity' template.
- Add a news ticker from a specified RSS feed
- Events: Add an Inline Events Viewer
- Events: Add events calendar feed v2*
- Feature: Display content inside box in a Silva Document
- Feeds: Add a blog feed into a Silva Document*
- Feeds: Add a Silva UCL RSS feeder in a Silva Document*
- Forms: Add a Simple Form to a Silva Document *
- Forms: Add a feedback form
- Forms: Alumni form
- HTML: Add an anchor
- HTML: Add a horizontal rule
- HTML: Insert HTML code
- Images: Add captioned image randomiser
- Images: Add carousel slideshow (V2)*
- Images: Add image randomiser
- Images: Add looped carousel (Basic)*
- Images: Caption an image
- Images: Disjointed rollover gallery
- Includes: Add a tabbed box*
- Includes: Add an accordion*
- Includes: Add highlighted syntax code*
- Includes: Add a Silva Document into One Column*
- Includes: Add Silva Documents into Two Columns*
- Includes: Add Silva Documents into Three Columns*
- Includes: Add Silva Documents into Four Columns*
- Includes: Add social bookmarks widget*
- Includes: Display a random Silva Document
- Includes: Display a Silva Document within a Silva Document (to be deprecated, use 'Feature: Display content inside box in a Silva Document')
- Includes: Display external content within a Silva Document
- Includes: PC Availability Map
- Includes: Research Publication Data
- Infobase - Popular Searches Box
- IRIS: Department
- IRIS: Research Group
- IRIS: Researcher Profile
- Misc: Add Alumni 'Give Online' button
- Misc: Add related information
- Misc: Add related links
- Misc. Display quotation
- Misc: Insert staff profile header
- Multimedia: Embed Flash SWF movie
- Multimedia: Embed streaming flash movies (v4.3)
- Multimedia: Embed streaming flash movies (v5.2 now with added caption support)
- Multimedia: Podcast Feed Widget
- Multimedia: UCL Media Stream (HTML5/Flash video)
- Navigation: Create a horizontal list of Silva links
- News: Add an inline news viewer
- News: Add random news article
- PHP: Include PHP within a Silva document *
- Prospectus: Graduate
- Prospectus: Undergraduate
- Social Media: Twitter
Page last modified on 21 may 13 14:45