Responsibilities (for Chief Editors)
It is expected that a Chief Editor is familiar with Silva, has attended the relevant courses and is familiar with the points made below.
The Chief Editor is either the person who is responsible for the overall design and content of the website or someone who communicates directly with the person who is.
- We suggest you set up a mailing-list with all the Editors and Authors of your site so you can contact them easily.
- We suggest you set up a termly meeting with all Chief Editors, Editors and Authors to discuss what needs changing on the website, based on feedback and stats from Google.
- Check your site(s) regularly for broken links, copyright and data protection issues. You can add a link-checker 'add-on' from Firefox to help you look for broken links.
- Subscribe to Web Services' Blog for updates about Silva and more...
- Provide access to any new Editors and Authors on your site, but see below...
- Before you give Editor rights to people, check if they have attended Silva training.
If they haven't, ensure they attend at least the Introducing the Silva CMS training course.
- Silva Checklist for accessibility, SEO and usability
- Everyone should set their User Settings when they first start editing the site.
If you don't, only your surname will show next to your edits.
- If one of your Editors / Authors, leaves, please revoke their rights in the Access tab.
- If you leave, please inform email@example.com and nominate a new CE.
- NEVER put
sensitive or private information e.g. applications with personal data,
on your Silva or Dreamweaver website, whether it's restricted to certain
groups or not.
Even if the information is not linked to/from a web page, it will reside on a server and this will NOT be secure.
- NEVER copy and paste large folders, esp. not during working hours.
Instead, ask Web Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) to do this for you.
Failing to do so can result in a breakdown of the Silva service!
- When it comes to prospective student information, follow the advice in the Information about Departmental Websites
Page last modified on 22 jul 14 16:37