UCL Research Data
We are currently re-building these web pages. Please contact us directly for specific inquiries
UCL Research Data will provide a service to facilitate better management of digital datasets by researchers.
The key objectives of the UCL Research Data service are to provide:
• Capability to store increasingly large volumes of electronic research data and data products
• Capability to support coordinated end-to-end research ‘workflows’ encompassing the use of both data storage and computational resources, by UCL researchers.
• The protection and preservation of UCL’s research data assets.
• Increased potential for re-use and possible future exploitation of UCL’s research data assets.
• Opportunities to consolidate UCL’s data storage infrastructure. Unified pan-UCL services (single system for all researchers)
• Improved compliance with increasingly stringent requirements for the management of project (data) outputs by the Research Councils.
Logical diagram for the UCL Research Data Service
The UCL Research Data service has now formally created its governance structure and appointed Jacky Pallas as the Chair of the Project Board.
Further information regarding the project governance structure can be found here.
A pilot study was completed in 2010 and groups for Phase 1 deployment identified in 2011. Service procurement and development is now in progress ahead of a planned Phase 1 deployment in Q4 2012. A modular architecture is being developed to manage the research data life-cycle from creation to publication.
We are currently engaged in open discussions with researchers to determine the range of user requirements for the service and to prioritise those elements for the phase 1 service this year. A set of pilot users will be engaged to assist in developing and evaluating the phase 1 service roll-out.
These requirements, in combination with ongoing analysis of potential solutions, are being combined to specify the functionality required for the initial service deployment and the long term service plans.
In addition to this website, there is also a mailing list for UCL researchers interested in the UCL Research Data service.
The list is researchdata-usergroup [ AT ] ucl.ac.uk
The web page for users of this list, including how to subscribe/un-subscribe, can be found here:
If you would like to discuss further the Research Data service or have research data management and storage requirements that could be fulfilled by this service, please send an email to researchdata-info [ AT ] ucl.ac.uk . Using this email address will ensure your query is directed to the most appropriate person.
Page last modified on 27 feb 13 10:16