Moving to live@UCL
How to guide
Out of office message
Using Outlook 2007/10
Training and support
Using OWA (web access)
Outlook 2010 - Send on behalf of
To be able to send an email on behalf of someone else requires two stages:
1. The person who wishes to have email sent on their behalf grants the sender permission.
2. The sender needs to specify the person they want to send messages on behalf of.
Stage 1. Allow someone to send messages on your behalf
Please note: The instructions in this stage (1) needs to be followed by the person
who wants to grant permission for someone else to send emails on their
1. Click on File > Account Settings > Delegate access
2. In the Delegates window, click on the Add button.
3. The Global Address List will open (GAL). Find and select your colleague's name whom you want to be able to send emails on your behalf. Either double-click their name or click on the Add button in the bottom left hand corner.
4. The Delegate Permissions window will open. You will notice all permissions are set to none (unless you have previously granted other permissions, in which case your previously selected options will be remembered).
Click on the down arrow next to Inbox and select Editor.
5. Tick the check box at the bottom of the window "Automatically send a message to
the delegate summarizing these permissions" to do exactly that. An email will be sent to your colleague informing them of their new access rights to your account.
You have now completed Stage 1.
Stage 2. Specify who you want to send messages on behalf of
Please note: The instructions in this stage (2) needs to be followed by the person
who wants to send emails on behalf of someone else.
Stage 1 must have been completed first by the person who wants to grant permission for someone else to send emails on their behalf.
Once you have been granted permission:
2. You need to add the From box.
- Click on the Options tab.
- In the Show Fields group, click on the From button.
The From button will now appear above the To and Cc buttons.
3. Click on the From button (above the To and Cc buttons), and from the resulting drop down list, select Other E-mail Address...
4. In the Send From Other E-mail Address window that appears, type in the person's name that you are sending on behalf of.
Tip! Alternatively, you can also click on the From button to open the Global Address List to locate your colleague.
Once you've found them either double click their name or click the Add button to add their name to the box at the bottom of the window.
Click OK when done.
5. Fill in the rest of the email: To, Subject, Message body, as you would if you were sending the message yourself.
Please note: While you can select any name form the Global Address List, you will only be able to send on behalf of someone who has granted you permission to do so.
Page last modified on 04 apr 11 15:06