Moving to live@UCL
How to guide
Out of office message
Using Outlook 2007/10
Training and support
Using OWA (web access)
Setting Up And Using Shared Mailboxes
A Shared Mailbox:
- Provides multiple users access to a single mailbox.
What would you like to do?
Reasons for using a Shared Mailbox
- Organising and controlling your mail, quantity of mails and archiving.
- Provides clearly defined email addresses for business use.
- A single copy of the email is stored, as opposed to multiple copies when email lists are used.
- The shared mailbox is considered separate, freeing up your personal quota.
- The shared mailbox is more convenient for archiving, and allows members who have recently joined the list to catch up with previous emails.
Features of a Shared Mailbox
- Is a separate mailbox on the live@UCL system and has a specific email address associated with it i.e firstname.lastname@example.org
- Is identical to a user's mailbox, containing the standard folders; Inbox, Sent, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks.
- Can be set up to allow authorised users to Send on Behalf of
- Send AS the mailbox is only possible with mailbox owner approval
Requesting A Shared Mailbox
Contact the Service Desk who will ask you for specific information e.g. Owner Information, list of authorised users who can access the Shared Mailbox and those who need permission to Send on Behalf.
Shared Mailboxes will be prefixed with the Departmental Name as agreed e.g.
EFD.Shared Mailbox Name
This is how the shared mailbox will appear in the Global Address List (GAL) and will also be the name displayed in the FROM field (if emails are sent out from the Shared Mailbox).
Shared Mailbox Permissions
Once your shared
mailbox has been created, the Service Desk will confirm your account and
security group details. It is within these security groups that the
owners will be able to grant access for other users. Please note the
owners group for the relevant shared mailbox grants full control of the
mailbox for all members therein.
to individual features of the mailbox will be a manual process granted
by an owner through delegation and the granting of folder permissions.
This option grants just calendar/contacts permissions or access to
There are three types of permissions that can be set:
- Owner - are administrators i.e. can add people to the secruity groups, have Full Access to the mailbox and can Send on Behalf of the mailbox
- Send on Behalf of - Full Access to the mailbox and can Send on Behalf of the mailbox
- Read Only - Full Access to the mailbox but CAN NOT send messages from the mailbox
- Send As – Full Access to the mailbox and can Send As the mailbox.
The owner(s) of the shared mailbox can add/remove members to each of the above groups, without having to contact the ISD Service Desk.
The following secruity groups can be accessed via the GAL where Owners can add/remove users.
Full Mailbox Access
Owners Security Group = owners
>Dept.mailbox name.Owners.SG.SM. Role Account Userid
Send On Behalf Of Access
Send On Behalf of Security Group = send on behalf
>Dept.mailbox name. SendOnBehalf.SG.SM. Role Account Userid
Read Only Access
Read Only Security Group = read only
>Dept.mailbox name.ReadOnly.SG.SM.Role Account Userid
Send As (with owners approval via Service Desk)
Send As Security Group = Send AS
>Dept.mailbox name.SendAs.SG.SM.Role Account Userid
Using the shared mailbox live@UCL as an example, we'll locate the owners group within the GAL.
All security groups within the GAL have a prefix which is a > sign. We would then identify the correct owners group for a shared mailbox by following the naming convention;
>DEPT.Shared Mailbox Name.OWNERS.SG.SM.Role Account Userid
The Service Desk will provide you with a copy of the exact name of the security group you require, however as a recap the naming convention is broken down as below;
Step 1. Type > into the Gal
Step 2. Type in the abbreviated Dep name (e.g ISD)
Step 3. Type in the shared mailbox name (e.g live@UCL)
Step 4. Type the Security group name (e.g Owners)
Step 5. Type in SG.SM.
Step 5. Double click the entry or right click then properties.
Step 6. Click Modify Members and then the Add option to give full mailbox permissions to the colleagues you require.
Please refer to the Permission Model for a graphical representation of type of security groups created and the permissions associated with them. For any additional help with permissions then please contact the ISD Service Desk.
Page last modified on 03 jul 12 12:07