Drop Box FAQ
1. How long do files remain in Drop box?
2. Is the Drop box a secure way to share files?
3. How large can the files be?
4. How can I notify someone that I have dropped off files for them to collect?
5. I never received an email notifying me that a file has been dropped off, what can I do?
6. I lost the email with the Claim ID and Passcode. Can you send it to me?
7. I don't want my file to remain on the Drop box, can I get it deleted?
8. Can I see a list of files that I've dropped off?
9. Can I send to a mailing list in Drop box?
10. When I have tried to upload a file I receive the error 'forbidden file type' - what does this mean?
11. I am an external user. Every time I try to drop off a file I see a screen prompting me to enter a UCL userid and password...
12. Can I drop off multiple files?
13. I've dropped off files but the table is empty when I click on 'list files you have dropped off'.
How long do files remain in Drop box?
Files remain in Drop box for 10 days after which they are automatically
deleted from the system.
Is the Drop box a secure way to send files?
Using UCL Drop box has the same security level as sending an email. Anyone who knows the Claim ID and Passcode can download the file.
If you need greater security for your files then you should password protect or encrypt your files before dropping them off.
If the data you wish to send is highly confidential, then you should not use Drop Box. Find an alternative means of sending your data such as burning to a CD and giving the information to the recipient personally.
How large can the files be?
1.2GB is the limit. Above this and your browser may fail to respond.
Also keep in mind:
1. The larger the file the longer it will
take to drop off the file.
2. Does the recipient have enough space to receive the file? If you are sending a large file, ensure that the recipient will have sufficient disk space to to download it either on their hard drive or USB key.
How can I notify someone that I have dropped off files for them to collect?
After you have dropped off/uploaded your files, an email is automatically generated and sent to the recipient (whose email address you would have entered on the web form). The email sent contains the Claim ID and Passcode for the file you have uploaded.
Please take care to:
1. type the recipients address correctly.
2. separate multiple addresses with a comma (do not put extra spaces between addresses).
Please note: the notification email will come from UCL Drop box - not your email address.
I never received a notification email about a file dropped off for me, what can I do?
This is likely because your email address was not entered correctly. You will need to double check with the sender that your email address was entered correctly.
I've lost the email with the Claim ID and Passcode. Can you send it to me?
Unfortunately we cannot do this. You will need to ask the sender to resend the details to you.
I don't want my file to remain on the Drop box, how can I get it deleted?
Your uploaded files remain on the system for 14 days after which they are automatically deleted permanently from the system.
Should you need to have a file removed before the 14 days are up, then you should contact the ISD Service Desk with the date your dropped off the file, name, and passcode. Please only contact the Service Desk if you are concerned about security. Your files will automatically expire after 14 days.
Can I see a list of the files that I've dropped off?
No, this is currently not possible. You can only see a list of files that are waiting to be picked up by you. However we are hoping to add this feature in the near future.
Can I send to a mailing list in Drop box?
Yes, this should be possible now.
When I have tried to upload a file I receive the error 'forbidden file type' - what does this mean?
You have tried to upload a file which is not acceptable to send using Drop box Certain file extensions which are commonly used by viruses or that are capable of misuse, for example, .bat or .exe are automatically blocked.
I am an external user. Every time I try to drop off a file I see a screen prompting me to enter a UCL userid and password...
Please try deleting all of your temporary files, cookies, browsing history etc from the browser that you are using. Then try using the Drop box again.
Which browser should I use?
Drop Box should work with most browsers. If you do have an issue using Drop Box with your default browser, it's worth trying an alternative. For example, if you usually use Internet Explorer, try Firefox. If the problem persists, contact the Service Desk.