What can I use the filestore for?
Primarily, you should save all your work-related documents and files on the N: drive (Windows filestore).
You can also use the O: drive as an archive drive for files that you do not access on a regular basis.
Departments can collaborate on files by using the S: drive.
Can I backup my laptop on the filestore?
Please ensure that only work-related data files are backed up.
We have experienced cases where users have inadvertently backed up their entire laptop, inclusive of the operating system, all system drivers and installed applications - all of which could be restored from original media. This would not be acceptable usage of the Central Filestore.
How much storage am I allowed to have?
- N : drive: all members of staff receive 1GB of space.
- O: drive: all members of staff have a 40GB limit.
- S: drive: storage space for the S: drive is spread out across departments.
Can I request a quota increase?
The policies are as follows:
- N: drive: You can self-increase up to 1.5 GB. After that authorisation is required, use the forms online.
- S: drive: You do not need to request an increase. The S: drive has an overall capacity of over 7TB. This space is spread out across all departments that use the S: drive. Capacity is added/moved around as needed.
- O: drive: It is not possible to request an increase for this drive.
How can I check my quota usage?
You can check your filestore usage in several different ways:
- J-Disk utility for Central Filestore drive - the most accurate way to check your usage for any drive on the filestore.
- Quota webpages - this will give your usage for the T: drive.
- Windows quota usage utility on WTS - this gives usage figures for the N :& T: drives
You can view this utility by going to: Start > Programs > Software P-R > Quota Usage.
Can I access my files away from UCL?
Yes. All drives can be accessed via Staff WTS, which can be used remotely.
I've deleted a file, can I get it back?
It depends on when you saved and deleted the file, but file restores are possible.