- Core E-Learning Tools
- Other E-Learning Tools
- Content & Images
- Using Images
- RSS Feeds
- Using scientific modelling/visualisation tools in e-learning
- Communication and Collaboration
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Using Discussion Forums/Bulletin Boards
- Blackboard Collaborate Conferencing
- Review of web-based survey tools
- Using questionnaires
- Mailing Lists
- Hot Potatoes
- RSS feeds - an example
- How "plugins" work
- Animations and Simulations
- Recording lectures
- Using Flip Video Cameras
- General Support and Information
What is a blog?
Blog is short for "weblog" and is an online facility similar to keeping a diary or journal. Entries in a blog are called ‘posts’ and these are displayed in chronological order. A blog can have one or multiple authors and readers of the blog may be allowed to make comments.
What can they be used for?
You can use it for any number of activities, whether it's a personal blog allowing you to keep an online diary to a group blog where users can share their experiences/ideas.
Blogs are increasingly being used in education for developing communities, group work or as e-portfolios. The following articles discuss the use of blogs in education.
- Crie, Mollie (2004) Using Blogs to Integrate Technology in the Classroom
- Lewis, Graham. (2005) Can blogs be useful educational tools?
- Stanley, Graham. (2005) Blogging for ELT (English Language Teaching)
By a tutor:
Where can I find blogs?
You can find blogs by either browsing a blog directory, or by using a blog search engine.
Blog search engine:
How do I set up a blog?
1. Choose a hosting facility and create an account.
There are a number of blog hosting facilities which are free to use. We recommend blogger.com which provides free blog hosting. It's quick and easy to create an account and set up a blog. You can either host your blog on the blogger.com site or on your own website.
2. Give your blog a name.
3. Write your first post.
4. Tell people about your blog (Use RSS!).
Note: If you are using a collaborative blog with your students, they will need to register with the blog
provider in order to add posts to the blog.
Can I add a blog to my Moodle course?
Currently, we recommend adding a link to your blog from your course.