Who needs to install?
Which UCL Applications use Java?
You can now access UCL Administrative Systems from the services@UCL gateway application.
Remember to update your bookmarks!
What is Java?
Several web-based Administrative Systems at UCL require the use of an additional Java plug-in component to the browser in order to run.
This page outlines how to get Java, how UCL Admin Systems make use of it, and common problems that you may encounter.
Please Note: As of 2014, all UCL Admin Systems are compatible with Java 7 and we recommend installation of the latest update version.
Java 8 is not yet verified to work with Admin Systems at UCL.
Who needs to download?:
There are two options available for using Java with UCL Administrative Systems:
- Install Java 7: Windows users may install Java 7 on their desktop PCs and run systems directly from their internet browsers. See below for a link to the latest Java version.
- Install Java 7 from Oracle - see link below. Note that the version of Java supplied by Apple dopes not include a web browser plug-in. You must install Java 7 from Oracle to be able to use Admin Systems directly on your computer.
- If you are using the Staff WTS or Desktop@UCL Managed Services, Java will already be installed and you need do nothing.
- Users of ADS computers may not have the latest version of Java - if in doubt, contact the ADS Helpdesk.
- If you are running Administrative Systems from your own or a departmentally managed computer, you need to check first if you have Java installed - see below.
- If you are unable to install or run Java or the necessary browser plugins on your desktop computer or device, they can instead be accessed using the Staff WTS service.
As of March 2014, ISD recommends that users install the latest update of Java 7. This will be compatible with all Oracle Java based applications used at UCL.
If you do not have software installation privileges
Please ask your system administrator to install Java on your behalf - installing Java will require administrative rights to your computer.
If you have software installation privileges
Download and Install Java 7 from the Java website. Select the version most appropriate for your operating system, e.g.:
- Windows x86 for Windows XP or Windows 7
- Windows x64 for 64-bit versions of Windows (inc Windows 7)
- Mac OS X x64 for Apple Macs
Uninstall Old Versions: We recommend that all older versions of Java are removed. Older versions of Java can make systems very insecure and vulnerable to being compromised.
Common Problems with Firefox:
- The Firefox browser may have disabled the Java plugin, particularly if you have an out-of-date version of Java installed. If you are using your own computer, always update to the latest version of Java 7.
- WTS 2010 users may have problems with the Java plugin if using Firefox. This is because WTS 2010 uses an older Java version that is disabled by default by this browser. For WTS 2010, we recommend either using Internet Explorer 8 or, alternatively, using the Firefox Add-ons page to re-enable the Java plugin.
Older Versions of Java:
We recommend that you always use the latest version of Java 7. Installers for previous versions are available but should only be installed if advised by you support team.
Systems requiring the JRE:
- Advance (web based forms only)
- Documentum / EDRM
- HR Systems: SiP, Departmental Reporting, UPAY, Senior Promotions, Redeployment, SPS
- Radioactive Substances
- Records Office System
- Services System
For further support, please contact:
your application support contact in ISD.
Page last modified on 08 aug 14 14:32