Frequently Asked Questions
- IRIS FAQs
- Login Problems
- Open Access
Search settings for harvesting publication details
- Which Datasources are searched by RPS?
- What do I do if the imported data is incorrect?
- I have too many pending publications - most of them aren't mine. How can I change my search settings?
- The online search hasn't found all my publications. How can I change my search settings?
- I often publish under a different name. How can I add that name to my search settings?
- How do I include items published before I was at UCL?
- Can I use my ResearcherID to retrieve my publications?
- How do I increase Open Access content using the ‘Upload a file from an external source’ option?
- Maintaining Publications
RPS Data in External Systems and Web Pages
- Are there any other systems which use RPS data?
- How do I embed my publications or departmental publication in a web page?
- I have just added/ updated a publication in RPS but the details are not showing in my Web page/IRIS/UCL Discovery/etc.
- How do I prevent publications being displayed on public web pages/systems?
- How to add your ORCID ID to RPS
Research Data Storage FAQs
Registering a project
- How do I register a project and what information do I need to provide?
- What is a project in the context of RDS?
- Who can register to use the service?
- Why do you require that the project PI completes the registration form?
- Why do you require an end date for a project?
- Why do I need to provide the title and description of the project?
- Do I need to justify my usage of the service in the description?
- Can I register more than one project?
- I’m the PI, but wish to nominate someone else to manage the account, is that possible?
- Can I store sensitive data in the RDS?
- How much space can I have, is there a limit?
- Do I have to pay?
- What happens when the project time limit runs out?
- Why are there two different types of storage?
- Can I choose to be put on the block storage system or object storage?
- I would like to transfer multiple projects from my department to RDS; what should I do?
- Can an undergraduate/postgraduate student register a project with RDS?
- Can someone from outside of UCL be the PI for a project with RDS?
Support and troubleshooting
- Which email address should I use for contacting Research Data Services?
- Can we talk to you face to face?
- What operating systems and software do you support?
- How do I check my usage and quota?
- How do I add/remove members of my project?
- Can I rename my project?
- Can I change the end date for my project once I've started?
- Is my data encrypted?
- Is my data backed up?
- Do you make the kind of backups that allow me to recover a previous version of a file in case I delete or modify it by mistake?
- What kind of data transfer speeds am I likely to get?
- Is there anything I can do to improve the speed of data transfer?
- Why do you have separate home and project space directories on the block storage (GPFS) service?
- I've written about 500MB to my GPFS storage and I'm now getting messages saying no further writing is possible; what's going on?
- How will I know what kind of storage my project is on?
- Do you offer CIFS/NFS exports of the storage?
- Do you offer block level access to the storage?
- What is SSH?
- Cyberduck crashes or locks up when attempting to transfer files
- Other data management services
Access to RDS
- Can non-UCL collaborators be given access?
- Can an undergraduate/postgraduate student have read/write access to a project?
- Will anyone else be able to access my data?
- To what extent can I control access for different members of my group?
- Can I host content from your service so that the public can access it?
- Can I access our storage like a drive on my computer? (i.e. as a mounted drive)
- Can I access the Research Data Service via Desktop@UCL Anywhere?
- How do I access my data from Legion?
- How do I access my data from outside of UCL?
- What programs can I use to access this service?
- Registering a project