About IT for SLMS
UCL’s School of Life and Medical Sciences (SLMS) was restructured in August 2011 and consists of the four UCL Faculties of Life, Brain, Medical and Population Health Sciences. The School aims to draw on its interdisciplinary strengths to become an unrivalled global centre of excellence in research, education and knowledge transfer. The School’s ability to realise such ambitions relies in no small part on the support structures that underpin its academic activity. With this in mind, a strategic assessment of the School’s IT provision was commissioned, which concluded three main priorities for SLMS IT:
- IT service delivery must enhance interdisciplinary working and collaboration.
- IT must participate in the core academic mission of the School, through the provision of enhanced IT services for Research and Learning & Teaching.
- Divisions and faculties must retain the locally responsive IT services that are so highly valued by our community. As a result of the assessment a new department was formed, IT for SLMS.
IT for SLMS
IT for SLMS is comprised of two main areas:
- Local, faculty based staff groups, one for each SLMS faculty, headed by a Head of IT. Each division, institute or departmental IT team sits in one of these faculty groups with a focus on meeting local IT needs. These IT units are part of the local department and will maintain a local identity.
- Secondly, there are three shared service groups, covering; infrastructure, research, learning & teaching and medical Illustration services. Each of these groups is headed by a senior manager who reports into the Director of IT for SLMS. These groups provide underpinning service support and capability to the local teams thus enhancing the depth and breadth of services available locally.
IT for SLMS Local but Central
The model within IT for SLMS; staff remain locally based, maintaining a locally responsive service, while also being part of a single IT organisational structure. This structure is referred to as the ‘Local but Central Model’ of IT provision.