UCL Directory: Become ex-directory
It is possible for individuals to have their details excluded from the directory.
This guide is aimed at:
Before you start…
Before making yourself ex-directory, please consider that:
- It will be more difficult for colleagues to find and contact you.
- Your details will also be removed from internal directories like the live@UCL Global Address List. You will also find your email display name will be removed (this can be replaced by contacting the ISD Service Desk).
- Some UCL systems may have incomplete details for you or may hide information (for example, your IRIS profile will be hidden). If you are advised to become ex-directory in order to hide your IRIS profile, please consider the wider implications of doing so - i.e. removal from the directory and impact on the e-mail system.
Note: Because it's important that your department knows that you are ex-directory (so that alternate arrangements can be made to contact you, if necessary, and to remove your details from departmental web pages), you will need authorisation from your Head of Department to become ex-directory.
The process for becoming ex-directory is:
1. Copy and paste the text from the box below into a new e-mail:
Dear [insert head of dept here]
I would like to have my details removed from the UCL Directory. If you concur with this request please forward this email to email@example.com.
[If possible, please summarize your reasons for wishing to have your details removed - e.g. you are involved in sensitive research, or have personal reasons.]
[Enter your name here]
2. Send the e-mail to your Head of Department. If you don't know who your Head of Department is, check the Head of Departments this contact list (UCL login required).
3. Your Head of Department will authorise your change of status and forward the e-mail to the firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. The Team will change your status and the directory will exclude your details from the following morning.
Download the UCL Ex-Directory Policy.
Reversing the Process
If you can change your mind or your circumstances change and you decide you would like to reappear in the directory, take these steps:
E-mail the Directory Corrections Team stating that you no longer wish to be ex-directory. Make sure that you copy the e-mail to your Head of Department.
The Directory Corrections Team will change your status and let you and your Head of Department know when that's done. Your details will reappear on the directory overnight.
Related guides and other links:
- How to set your preferred department (if you belong to more than one)
- Change the way your name is displayed
- Change or add your phone number
- Change your email/computer account details
- About the UCL Directory
Help and support
Contact the Directory Corrections team.