Account Information for Computer Reps
Computer Reps perform an important function at UCL as they are one of the main points of communication between ISD and UCL departments.
Departments should have one or more Computer Reps whose role is to:
- Request accounts for new users (where these are not provided automatically).
- Help users in their departments with password resets (by issuing single-use tokens)
Authorise departmental access to certain ISD services/facilities such as:
Once registered as a Computer Rep you will have access to:
||The Computer Reps Tools: to see details of users in your department, of role accounts, and of intranet group membership.|
||The Services System: where you can request user accounts for honorary staff and visitors and request revocation of accounts for staff, students and visitors. (see below for more details of what's possible with the Services System if you're a rep).|
MyAccount functions to issue single-use tokens for users in your department.
Additionally, you can request access to the UCL Guest system for managing WiFi connections. Contact the ISD Service Desk to arrange this.
Frequently Asked Questions
A Computer Rep is an important link between the Information Services Division (ISD) and the department. The role of the Reps varies in Departments where there are, lots of users the role is demanding. Therefore, if a Rep feels that he/she is unable to take on this Role it is worth making this clear to the department.
In order to become a Computer Rep you must be registered as a user of the UCL Services System. Registration information is available on the Administrative Systems Registration information page.
Once registered you will be able to access:
- The Services System itself.
- The Computer Reps Tools.
- MyAccount Token generations functions.
You will also then be authorised to make additional requests to the Service Desk on behalf of your department, for example to request access to departmental shared network space (S-drive) or for the wireless UCLGuest service.
How do I stop being a Rep? Or remove a rep from my department?
Contact the ISD Service Desk in the first instance and request removal of Reps status. Removal of Reps status will remove your access to the services listed above. Requests can also come from a Departmental Administrator or head of Department if necessary (i.e. “Joe Bloggs is no longer a Rep in our department”) and the same will apply.
What if I need to change the departments that I represent?
All changes to access as a Rep need to ne authorised by Head of Department. Complete an additional Services System Registration request for the additional departments you require.
Note for Departmental Administrators:
If you are registered for the Services System as a Departmental Administrator you will automatically be added to the Computer Reps list. If this is not appropriate for your department (e.g. if you have dedicated IT support staff who act as Computer Reps) contact the UPI support team and we can hide your details from the Reps list. This will not affect your access to Reps tools.
To list users in your department:
- Connect to the Computer Reps Tools
- Login using the option on the left-hand menu.
- The left-hand menu will now have additional functions for Reps. Select the List Users option.
- Select the type of users to display (Staff, Students, Visitors)
- Select whether you want to see Current, Past or Future people or if you wish to display only a sub-category of people (e.g. only honoraries or only post-graduates).
- Select Get Data >>
A list of people in your department(s) will be displayed.
Status of a user's computer account is indicated by the right-hand column:
You can now use the following options:
- Filter the list (useful to find an individual or a specific department).
Display further information for a user: use the green button to left of the entry to expand.
Current members of the UCL community are automatically added to access groups that are used to control access to various electronic resources.
Groups names are made up of two components:
- A departmental prefix
- A suffix derived from their association (staff, student type, visitor type, etc)
A full description of how groups are defined and how to determine group names can be found on the Intranet Access Groups page.
Finding group info in the Computer Reps Tools:
- Login to the Reps Tools (use the Login option on the left-hand menu).
- Select the List Intranet Groups and their members option.
Use the drop-down menus to select the group you wish to check:
- Pick the department from the first menu
- Pick the suffix from the second menu
- You will see the group name automatically entered in the name box.
- Alternatively, if you already know the group code, enter it in the box directly.
- Select Find Members >> to show the list of people in a particular group.
Accounts can be requested and revoked using the Services System.
Most users will get accounts automatically, the exceptions being honorary staff and visitors.
Automatically created once contract processed by HR. Available 1 month before a user starts.
Request via Services System (once Hon contract completed).
Automatically created up to 1 month prior to enrolment.
Request via Services System (once Visit details completed).
Instructions on how to request and revoke accounts are available:
Requesting Role and Resource Accounts
Role accounts and calendar resources can be requested by contacting the ISD Service Desk.
Single use tokens can be generated for your users, if they have forgotten their passwords, using the MyAccount service.
- Visit the MyAccount website: http://myaccount.ucl.ac.uk
- Select the Generate a token for another user (IT Reps and ISD staff only) option.
- Login using your UCL userid and password.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to generate the token for the user.
- Give/send the token to the user and instruct them to visit the MyAccount site to use the token.
Note: an e-mail will be sent automatically to:
- The computer rep requesting the token.
- The account the token has been generated for.
There is a range of information on using the Services System available on the ISD website: