How to become ex-directory
The Directory is a useful tool for finding contact details for staff and students at UCL. It's a public directory, available via the internet and accessible from anywhere in the world. All staff and students are included by default once they have enrolled or their contracts have begun.
It is possible for individuals to have their details excluded from the directory. Before doing so, please consider that:
- It will be more difficult for colleagues to find and contact you.
- Your details will also be removed from internal directories like the Live@UCL Address Book. You will also find your e-mail display name will be removed (this can be replaced by contacting the Service Desk).
- Some UCL systems may have incomplete details for you or may hide information (for example, your IRIS profile will be hidden). Note: if you are advised to become ex-directory in order to hide your IRIS profile, please consider the wider implications of doing so - i.e. removal from the directory and impact on the e-mail system.
Because it's important that your department knows that you are ex-directory (so that alternate arrangements can be made to contact you, if necessary, and to remove your details from departmental web pages), your Head of Department is required to authorize the removal of your details.
The process for becoming ex-directory is:
1. Copy and paste the text from the box below into a new e-mail:
Dear [insert head of dept here]
I would like to have my details removed from the UCL Directory. If you concur with this request please forward this email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
[If possible, please summarize your reasons for wishing to
have your details removed - e.g. you are involved in sensitive research, or have personal reasons.]
[Enter your name here]
2. Send the e-mail to your Head of Department. If you don't know who your head of department is, check this contact list (UCL login required)..
3. Your Head of Department will authorize your change of status and forward the e-mail to the email@example.com.
4. The Team will change your status and the directory will exclude your details from the following morning.
If you or your Head of Department have any questions about this process, please contact the Directory Corrections Team.
Reversing the Process:
If you change your mind or your circumstances change and you decide you would like to reappear on the directory, take these steps:
- E-mail the Directory Corrections Team stating that you no longer wish to be ex-directory. Make sure that you copy the e-mail to your Head of Department.
- The Directory Corrections Team will change your status and let you and your HoD know when that's done. Your details will reappear on the directory overnight.