Skip to site navigation

Desktop@UCL PC FAQs

How can I scan my documents or devices for viruses?

Desktop@UCL uses Microsoft Endpoint and you can scan individual files, folders and drives for viruses and spyware. See the Virus scanning guide for more information.

Where can I find a list of available applications on Desktop@UCL?

A complete list of available applications can be found on the Available Applications page.  This will be updated as new applications or versions are made available.

Where should I save my work?

When you log into the Desktop@UCL PC, you will have access to your own Windows filestore (N: drive) via the Computer icon. By default any work you create when using an application in Desktop@UCL will be saved on the N: drive.

Can I save to the desktop?

You can but this is not advised.  You should save documents to your N: Drive where they will be backed up every night.It is also advisable to save your documents in more than one location. Other recommended places are:

  • Online Storage
  • USB Memory Sticks
  • CD

I am unable to find documents I had saved on the desktop for either Myriad or WTS.

Your documents were saved during the upgrade process and can still be accessed on your N: drive.  (except Remote Cluster WTS)

You can access your documents by clicking on the Computer icon on your Desktop@UCL PC and locating the relevant folder on your N: drive.

  • Staff WTS 2010: N:\PCSettings\WTSDesktop2010
  • Staff WTS 2000: N:\PCSettings\WTSDesktop
  • Myriad: N:\rdrive\Myriad\Desktop

I am unable to locate the 'My Work' folder

Depending on the system you was using you can access your My Work folder via the following locations:

  • Staff WTS 2000: N:\mywork
  • Staff WTS 2010: N:\mywork
  • Remote Cluster WTS: N:\rdrive\wts\mywork
  • Myriad: N:\rdrive\wts\mywork

How can I pin applications to the start menu?

Please see the guide for pinning applications to the start menu.

The software I require is not available - how do I request new or updated software?

If the application or version is not available, you can request new software.

When I try to load an application it says "You are accessing a restricted application or trying to update an application that you do not have permission to do so" - why is this?

For licensing reasons some software is not available to all students by default.  If you require access to a restricted application, please contact the Service Desk. 

I am unable to locate Word 2013 in the all programs list, how can I find it?

Some of the more common programs you use will be listed under the name of the software provider. For example Word 2013 will be found under Microsoft Office 2013. Some further examples are:

  • Dreamweaver - 'Adobe'
  • Photoshop Elements - 'Adobe'

Browsers such as Firefox and Internet Explorer can be found under 'Browsers'.

I receive an add-on pop-up message when using Internet Explorer

When you get this message, please click 'Allow pop-ups'.

The N: drive on my user area shows that I have 1.82 TB of space, is this correct?

The total amount of space you see available is for all users. To check how much space you are using please go to:

What is my storage allowance as a student?

If you are an undergraduate, you will get 250MB and if you are a postgraduate, you will get 1GB.  For further information, see the  Central Filestore page

When I launch Office I have noticed that I have a Onedrive (formerly Skydrive), can I use it?

Yes you can use it, but please note that this storage is not supported by UCL.

I am an Alumni, can I log in to Desktop@UCL pcs/Anywhere?

By default Alumni do not have access to Desktop@UCL.  If you believe you should have access, please contact the Service Desk.