Essential computer skills
We have a range of courses and resources to help you to develop the core skills that you need to use a computer more safely and effectively.
IT security and legal issues
- Looking after your computer (security briefing) - lunchtime session
- Get safe online (external website - not affiliated with UCL) - government sponsored initiative
- Anti-phishing game - online learning using a game to help you spot scams and bogus emails.
- Skills Suite (for ECDL Syllabus 5) Module 1: Security for IT users - online learning
- Do you risk becoming an Accidental Outlaw? (external website - not affiliated with UCL) - online quiz to test and build your knowledge of internet law
- Skills Suite (for ECDL Syllabus 5) Module 1: Fundamentals of IT - online learning
Using a computer and managing files
Note that our file management resources are for Windows-based PCs.
- The quick & dirty guide to file management- quick guide
- IT User Fundamentals (covers using a Windows computer and managing files) - online learning
Effective use of the web and web-based tools
- Intelligent Web Searching - self-paced
- Skills Suite Module 7: Using Email and the Internet (covers web browsing with Internet Explorer) - online learning
Using a workstation safely and healthily
- Keyboard skills - learn to touch type (external website - not affiliated with UCL)
- Workstation Ergonomics - use a computer in a safer, healthier way (external website - not affiliated with UCL)
Treepad is a utility for organising notes in a hierarchical structure. MindGenius is a mind-mapping tool for brain-storming, planning, taking notes etc.
- The quick & dirty guide to Treepad - quick guide
- The quick & dirty guide to MindGenius - quick guide
If you have a problem with any of the links on this page please contact email@example.com