How to connect to the Print Queue
All printing is defaulted to black and white (mono), double sided and A4.
If you wish to change these settings, further details can be found on the Change Print Settings page
I use a:
- WTS 2000/2010 | Myriad | Desktop@UCL | Sync and Share computer
- ADS computer or standalone Windows computer
- Mac (OS X) computer
- Linux computer
Using WTS 2000/2010 | Myriad | Desktop@UCL | Sync and Share computer
In the program that you want to print from, select the print option (E.g. in Microsoft Word, File > Print).
Locate and select the following queue : print-UCL
Using an ADS computer or standalone Windows computer
1. Open windows explorer and type:
in the address field.
2. You should then be asked for a username and password. This is your UCL username and password (same password you would use to connect to UCL email).
Important: Ensure that the UCL username is typed in the following form: firstname.lastname@example.org (replace ucaaxxx with your UCL username).
Under the username and password boxes, there is a check box for remembering credentials - please tick this box.
This is so that you do not need to go through this process again, every time you restart your machine.
3. You should now see a window appear with printer
choices. Please select the print-ucl queue.
Right-click the printer icon and select Connect. This will add the printer to your local device and download the driver.
This method has been tested on: Windows XP, Windows 7 and 8 operating systems.
Note: When you change your UCL password, you will lose your connection to the printer. You will need to follow these steps again to re-install it.
Using a Mac (OS X) computer
These instructions are based on Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Mountain Lion):
1. Download the mac print driver using this link: http://www.support.xerox.com/support/workcentre-7655-7665-7675/downloads/engb.html?operatingSystem=macosx108
(Please select the relevant o/s from the operating system drop down menu click on the link and accept the license agreement)
2. Once the file has downloaded, double-click on the file to open it and then open the package installer (Xerox Print Driver .pkg file) and install the package, during the install accept all defaults, when the screen appears to “select a printer” click the red “x” to exit the installation Do not create a print queue when prompted.
3. Click on the Apple icon and go to System Preferences > Print & Scan.
4. Click on the Add Printer button which is a plus symbol +
5. Select the Advanced Tab – (if you cannot see this: hold down the ctrl key and click on the default icon. Select Customize Toolbar. Right click or hold click on the advanced item and select “Add Advanced” now click done
6. Click the advanced icon (you may need to wait 30 seconds)
7. Enter in/select the following:
Type: Windows printer via spoolss (this may be displayed as Windows on older o/s) URL: smb://safecomcapa02.ad.ucl.ac.uk/print-ucl Name: print-UCL
a. Click the drop down menu “Print Using” or “Use” and click Select Printer Software
b. In the search window enter Xerox 7655, select this device, click OK
8. Click on the Add button
9. Select the following options when configuring the printer:
Paper trays: 5 paper trays installed Finisher: Advance office finisher Hole punch: Not installed Job storage: Installed Post process: Not installed
10. The print queue is now added. When you print a document you will be prompted for your UCL username and password. For certain legacy MAC operating systems you will need to submit 2 print jobs before the pop up prompt appears. Please use the following format to enter your username: ad\<username> this must be your UCL user name and not the user account of the MAC enter your password and click on “remember this password in my keychain”
Note: When your UCL password expires/changes you must enter the new password. To do this open the Keychain Access tool (located in Utilities), find the print-UCL entry, delete this and repeat the process of submitting a print job, this will prompt you for your credentials again.
Using a Linux computer
These steps have been tested to work in Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat and Centos. You may need to enter your root password a number of times during this process.
1. Click System, Administration, Printing
2. In the window that opens up click Add or New in the toolbar
3. In the left hand pane click “Network Printer” and wait a moment whilst the configuration loads. Once fully loaded click “Windows Printer via SAMBA” and enter the following details, using “ad\username”. Once entered click Verify then click Forward.
a. SMB Printer:
b. Tick: Set authentication details now
c. Username: ad\ccaaxxx
d. Password: your UCL password (same password you would use to connect to UCL email)
4. Download the x2WL75.ppd file and save to your home directory.
5. At the printer driver selection screen, choose “Provide PPD file” and select the x2WL75.ppd you downloaded in step 4. Click Forward.
6. Set the following items as:
- Paper Tray Options: 5 Paper Trays Installed
- Finisher /Output Tray: Advanced Office Finisher
- Hole Punch Unit: Not Installed
- Job Storage: Disabled
the Printer Name: print-UCL
and Description: Xerox Printer
See further instructions for detailed instructions with screenshots