UCL Institute of Neurology


Frequently Asked Questions




Back to Top


Back Up Data

Q: What’s the best way to back up my own data?

A: Depending on the data size, by copying your data to an external removable storage drive i.e. a USB external portable drive , USB flash key memory drive, the network drive known as Home drive.

Back to Top


Computer Accounts

Staff and Students of Institute of Neurology are eligible for ION computer accounts.  To request access please contact our team at ion-itsupport@ucl.ac.uk

Q: I cannot log on to an institute computer. What is the problem?

A: The most usual cause is typing the password incorrectly three times, which locks out the account (you have to contact us to unlock it). Have you pressed the CAPSLOCK key? Look for green light at top right of keyboard to see if it is enabled. This would mean that you are entering your password in CAPITAL LETTERS, which wont work. Check that you are logging on to the ION domain, not some other domain, and not the local computer.

Computer Reps

Q: How can I find out who my computer rep is?

A: See here for details for your relevant department: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/comprep/listreps.php


Q: I need help with my I.T equipment, who do I contact?

A: This will vary depending on the department you are associated with.

For the NMR contact:
Jon Steel
Email: jonathan.steel@ucl.ac.uk
Tel: 0845 1555000 x. 724268

For Chalfont contact:
Peter Gilford
Email: p.gilford@ucl.ac.uk
Tel: 01494 601300 x2217 (Mon)
Tel: 01494 874646 x2217 (Tue-Fri)

For Sobell contact:
Chris Seers
Email: c.seers@ucl.ac.uk
Ext: 84188

For Prion Contact:
Rui Wu
Email: R.Wu@ucl.ac.uk
Ext: 84427

For FIL contact:
Ric Davis
Email: r.davis@ucl.ac.uk
Ext: 84379

For the DRC contact:
Stuart Luscombe
Email: s.luscombe@ucl.ac.uk
Tel: 08451 555 000 72 3875

For Hospital Staff
Email: IT.Servicedesk@uclh.nhs.uk
Ext: 0203 447 9367 

For ION staff
Email: ion-itsupport@ucl.ac.uk
Tel: 0203 448 4118
Ext: 84118

Back to Top



This service allows you to remotely access UCL resources anywhere you have an internet connection



Q: What training courses and self-study are available to me?

A: Various self study courses can be found here: 


Back to Top



Q: Can I view my email when offsite?

A: Yes. Navigate to the following: http://outlook.com/live.ucl.ac.uk

Q: Can I use my mobile phone to see my emails?

A: The following link provides further instructions: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/staff/mail/live/mobphon/mobilephones

Q: I am leaving ION, can I keep my email account?

A: If after you have left you still have ongoing work commitments with the Institute, you may apply for Honorary or Visitor status. More details including application forms are available using the links below:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ion/services/computing/training/documents and https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ion/intranet/HR/hon-vis-app

Q: What advice is available in terms of encryption?

A: UCL recommend BitLocker This is discussed here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/computers/staff/desktop/encryption

Back to Top



Q: Can I forward UCL emails?

A: This is not recommended but a guide can be found here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/staff/mail/live/outlook/owa/forwarding

Back to Top


Back to Top


Home Drive

Q: What is the home drive?

A: This is know as the N:\ Drive.  This is your personal storage space on the central windows filestore.  All students and staff receive 100GB of storage space



Back to Top


IP Addresses

Q: How can I find the Host Name and IP address of my managed machine?

A: The following will provide the information you require: http://ip-lookup.net/

Back to Top


Back to Top


Back to Top



Q: Can I use my personal laptop at the institute?

A: Anyone wanting a laptop connected to the network can view the following for details:


Q: How do I access Library Services?

A: See the following for useful information: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ion/library/


Q: Where can I download UCL logo's?

A: The logo's can be found here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/corporate-identity/

Back to Top



Q: Where can I see my payslip's online when at work?

A: See here : http://www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/myview_secure_live/myview_log_in.php

For offsite access, view the MyView page after connecting to Desktop@UCL here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd-extra/common/windows/wts-web/

Back to Top


Back to Top


Microsoft Outlook

Q: How do I set it up my Outlook email account?

A: You can find setup guides based on your outlook version here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/staff/mail/live/config

Q: Where can i obtain a copy of Microsoft Office from UCL?

A: UCL students and staff can download Office365 here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/comms-collaborate/office-professional-plus

Back to Top



Q: Where can I find tips on UCL security and passwords?

A: The following provides all the relevant information: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/staff/connections/passwords/faq/acceptable_password

Q: How do I reset my password?

A: IoN domain password - On any windows computer on the domain press Ctrl, Alt, Delete simultaneously. Click on Change password. If you don’t remember the old password, please contact the Unit to have it reset.
Your UCL account password can be reset via https://myaccount.ucl.ac.uk


Q: Who are the recommended computer suppliers?

A: The Institute follows the UCL standard in this regard, the recommended standard contracted computer hardware suppliers includes Dell, HP, XMA.

Click on the following link for additional information: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/software-hardware/hardware-purchasing

Back to Top



Q: What is my email quota?

A: The email quota limit is 100GB.

Back to Top


Remote Access

Q: Can I access IoN resources when offsite?

A: Yes - more information here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ion/services/computing/Remote

Back to Top


Service News

Q: I am having problems with UCL facilities such as moodle. When will it be back up and running?

A: Keep up to date with the latest information on IS Service News at: http://www.ucl-status.ac.uk/


Q: Can I install software on my IoN computer?

A: It’s the Institute’s computing unit policy to exercise a great deal of flexibility in managing computers on our network, this allow majority of users with administrative privileges on their ION computer, to install software applications. However, it is the user’s responsibility to ensure that such software will not compromise our network security, as disciplinary measures can be taken against a defaulting user. If in doubt on the authenticity of a software application, it is best to contact the ION IT unit before installing such software. Click following link for additional information on standard software that can be installed on your work PC: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ion/services/computing/software


Q: How do I deal with spam and junk emails?

A: Guidelines to avoiding SPAM can be found herehttps://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/email-calendar/spam

Q: I need SSH, where I download this?

A: This can be downloaded here:


Back to Top



Q: Where can I find out about the computer training courses provided by ISD?

A: Search for relevant courses here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/staff/training

Back to Top


UCL Password

Q: How do I change my UCL password?

A: UCL passwords can be reset at: https://myaccount.ucl.ac.uk/. Changed passwords will take up to two hours to fully activate on all UCL systems.

Back to Top


Vacation Facility

Q: How can I set up an automatic reply for my e-mail?

A: See here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/email-calendar/manage-email


See Security

Back to Top



Q: What wireless networks are available at the ION?

A: The most commonly used wireless network is Eduroam. General information on connecting and hot-spots are discussed in the following link: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/staff/wireless

Back to Top


Back to Top


Back to Top


Back to Top