Using the Library
The Queen Square Library is the recognised Library for Neurology in the University of London and is a shared resource between the UCL Institute of Neurology and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. The Library contains an important collection of specialist neurology, neurosurgery and neuroscience books and journals, together with some general medical and biomedical literature. Download our Library Guide [pdf] or view our Library video below.
Our normal opening hours are as follows. Occasionally we have to make changes to our opening hours, sometimes at short notice, please check this page for details, or follow us on twitter for updates.
Normal opening hours
Please note that access to the building is restricted after 6pm; please arrive before 6pm for guaranteed entry.
Changes to opening hours:
Who can use the Library?
Please check our list of who can use the library before your visit.
Access to the library space is via a short flight of stairs to the ground floor and then stairs or a lift to the 1st floor. A wheelchair lift is available to reach the ground floor but please contact us in advance to arrange for an operator to be available. Library staff are happy to help with arranging access to library materials; please contact the library.
- Address: Queen Square Library, UCL Institute of Neurology & the National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG
- Internal post: Box 74
- Telephone: external 020 3448 4709 | internal from IoN 84144 | internal from NHNN 26 84144
- Email: email@example.com
- Queen Square Library on facebook
- @neurolib on twitter
From left: Rossana Rizzo (Information Assistant), Sarah Lawson (Head of Queen Square Library), Kate Brunskill (Deputy Librarian).
We currently have a vacancy for an Information Assistant.
How to find the Library View a map of the area. As the library is in central London, parking can be difficult and expensive. It is recommended that you use public transport to visit us if possible.
- The nearest tube station is Russell Square.
- Buses 68, 168 and 188 serve the ION.
- The nearest mainline train stations are Euston, King's Cross and St. Pancras.
- UCL cycling information, including links to bike hire map.
- Queen Square map, including bike parks
The Queen Square Library is part of UCL's Green Impact scheme and we try to avoid creating waste, to recycle as much as possible and to act in a sustainable manner.
We encourage our library users to help - just a couple of ideas would be to switch off desk lights when you leave and to use our water fountain to refill your water bottles.
Please let us know if you have any Green Impact ideas for us and see the library noticeboards for more details of the scheme.
Our recycling services are provided by the Queen Square Division Waste Recycling Project (managed by UCLH). We have centralised our waste bins so that we can recycle more effectively, you will find two types of bin at the entrance to the library:
- a bin with a clear bin liner: for recyclables including paper, cardboard, newspapers, cans and packaging.
- a bin with a black bin liner: for non-recyclables including food waste or food-contaminated waste. Please remember that you must not eat in the library and only covered drinks are allowed.
We also recycle batteries and stamps, please hand them in at the library desk (stamps are donated to the RNIB). On-street recycling units for other recyclables are provided in the local area by Camden, visit the website for a map and more details.
Lost property will be held for 6 weeks from when found. Where an item has identifying marks, we will attempt to contact the owner. Failing this, we will donate any items to charity after being unclaimed for 6 weeks.