Queen Square Library
Evidence: finding the evidence & critical appraisal
- Check the Queen Square Clinical Governance page (NB: UCLH intranet site - restricted to UCLH users)
- View a list of NICE guidelines relevant to NHNN
- Search NHS Evidence
- Move onto a search of The Cochrane Library
- Try a more general search using Healthcare Databases Advanced Search tools (requires an NHS OpenAthens account)
For access to these key tools and others, visit the UCLH Healthcare Evidence Resources website (NB: UCLH intranet site - restricted to UCLH users)
- The best source of information is CASP: Critical Appraisal Skills Programme which offers a range of tools to help you critically appraise different types of article.
- CLIST trainers’ toolkit pages: Critical appraisal resources . This page (from LondonLinks) provides links to Critical Appraisal resource pages maintained by a selection of UK healthcare libraries.
- Training and support for critical appraisal is available within UCLH.
...and other useful tools for finding evidence:
- Bandolier - a full text journal providing advice about treatments and diseases. Information in Bandolier is gathered from reviews of clinical trials.
- BESTBets (UK) - Best Evidence Topics developed in the Emergency Department of Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK, to provide rapid evidence-based answers to real-life clinical questions, using a systematic approach to reviewing the literature.
- BMJ Best Practice - a point of care decision-making tool.
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (UK)
- Centre for Evidence-Based Mental Health (UK)
- Centre for Health Economics (UK)
- Clinical Evidence
- Cochrane Library - the primary source of information about the effectiveness of healthcare interventions. From the Cochrane Collaboration
- Current Controlled Trials
- DynaMed for NHS users - requires an NHS OpenAthens account. DynaMed is a clinical reference tool created by physicians for physicians. See the DynaMed online guide.
- metaRegister of Controlled Trials (mRCT) (USA)
- Evidence-Based Neurology (USA)
- NICE: National Institute for Clinical Excellence (UK). Includes the Principles for Best Practice in Clinical Audit
- NiH RePORTER
- National Service Framework for Longterm Conditions (UK)
- NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (UK)
- Practice Guidelines (USA)
- PubMed's Clinical Queries tool - a specialized PubMed tool to focus your search on particular clinical categories (etiology, diagnosis, therapy, prognosis) and to find systematic reviews.
- TRIP database - a tool to bring together 'evidence-based' healthcare resources available across the internet.
- UKCRN: portfolio database - a searchable listing of research being undertaken within the four UK networks which form the UK Clinical Research Network (UKCRN)
- UpToDate - An evidence-based knowledge system authored by physicians to help clinicians make the right decisions at the point of care. Available within the UCL network only.
Page last modified on 04 feb 14 15:42
Comments & Suggestions | Disclaimer | Copyright
Queen Square Library, incorporating the Queen Square Archive and Museum.
UCL Institute of Neurology & The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery
1st Floor, 23 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK | Tel: 020 3448 4709 x84144 | firstname.lastname@example.org
find us on facebook | follow us on twitter