- About Neuropathology
- Division Members
- Diagnostics & Services
- Research Themes
- UCL IQPath
- Training & Research Opportunities
Visitors should report to the security front desk in Queen Square House (Institute of Neurology), the 11-storey tower block on the north corner of Queen Square.
- Surgical Pathology
- Dubowitz Neuromuscular Centre
- Adult Neuromuscular Service
- Molecular Tests
- Electron Microscopy
- Multidisciplinary Team Meetings
- The division provides a speedy, high quality diagnostic service to The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, which is a national tertiary referral centre for all neurological diseases. Samples are delivered, by porter or pneumatic tube, directly from theatres or the wards and the results are transmitted electronically to the electronic patient record, which are accessible from all computers in the UCLH Trust by consultants and wards, providing an efficient neuropathology service to the clinicians.
- Provision of high profile research
- Provision of a modern teaching programme for medical students and postgraduates.
- Provision of a full mortuary and post-mortem service.
- The Department of Neuropathology has particular expertise in neuro-oncology, neurodegenerative diseases, epilepsy, inflammatory diseases of the CNS, prion diseases, peripheral nerve and adult and paediatric muscle.
- Cut-up, processing and paraffin sectioning
- Smear preparation frozen sectioning
- Serum titrations for antineuronal antibodies
- Muscle pathology: special stains, Histochemistry and IHC
- DNA extraction, real time PCR
- Peripheral Nerve pathology, teased fibres, semithin sections
- Electron microscopy
- Two modern Herasafe Biosafety Class II cabinets for cut-up and dissection of all tissues and fluids
- Three cryostats, five microtones for paraffin sections
- Two tissue processors
- Chemical safety weighing cabinet
- Large open-plan downdraft working area for solvents and special stains
- LEICA autostainer and Coverslipper
- Four LEICA Bondmax automated immunostaining instruments
- TaqMan Real time PCR thermocycler
- Conventional PCR thermocycler
- Three transmission electron microscopes, with digital cameras and one scanning electron microscope.
- Fully equipped electron microscopy laboratory.
|Case numbers per year (1st April - 31st March)||NHNN||Referrals|
|Surgical Pathology and Diagnostic Brain Biopsies||1055||324|
|Intraoperative Assessments (frozen sections and smear preparations)||498||N/A|
|Adult Muscle Biopsies||134||78|
|Paediatric Muscle Biopsies||18||44|
|Paediatric Muscle Biopsies NCG||67||N/A|
|Peripheral Nerve Biopsies||34||40|
|Electron Microscopy Requests||41||31|
|CSF Cytology Requests||796||N/A|
Molecular Pathology Tests (total):
|MGMT Methylation (MPCR)||249||169|
|Total Neuropathology Requests||3397||1205|
Page last modified on 07 oct 13 17:33