Dr M. Davare
Human hand function
Lab Head: Dr. Marco Davare
m.davare [at] ucl.ac.uk
The hand is the principal organ through which we interact with our environment. Skilled hand function is essential for most aspects of our daily life; it is crucial for our technology, communication and social interactions.
My main interest is to understand how the brain integrates multiple sensory sources to control hand movements.
Previous studies provided a picture of distinct cortical areas distributed within the parieto-frontal network that are necessary to control skilled hand movements. However, the nature and timing of the interactions between these areas, namely AIP, PMv and the primary motor cortex (M1), during visually-guided grasping movements are critical issues that still remained unanswered. Investigating the connectivity between these areas is important because it allows us to shed light on how visual information about the object properties is transferred from one area to another and finally transformed into a precise motor command.
In Prof. Roger Lemon's lab, the exposure to single unit studies of premotor-motor interactions during hand grip in non-human primates led me to pioneer new methods to investigate cortico-cortical connectivity during hand actions. I developed a novel paired-pulse TMS paradigm that opened up the possibility of testing these cortico-cortical interactions in humans.
Click HERE for details about my research projects.
17. Davare M, Zénon A, Pourtois G, Desmurget M, Olivier E, Role of the medial part of the intraparietal sulcus in implementing movement direction.
Cereb Cortex. 2012 Jun;22(6):1382-94.
16. Vesia M, Davare M, Decoding action intentions in parieto-frontal circuits. J Neurosci. 2011 Nov 16;31(46):16491-3.
15. Davare M, Kraskov A, Rothwell JC, Lemon RN, Interactions between areas of the cortical grasping network. Curr Opinion in Neurobiology. 2011 Aug;21(4):565-70.
14. Loh MN, Kirsch L, Rothwell JC, Lemon RN, Davare M, Information about the weight of grasped objects from vision and from internal models interacts within the primary motor cortex. J Neurosci. 2010 May 19;30(20):6984-90.
- Faculty of 1000 Biology evaluation: Melvyn Goodale (June 2010)
13. Davare M, Rothwell JC, Lemon RN, Causal connectivity between the human anterior intraparietal area and premotor cortex during grasp. Current Biology. 2010 Jan 26;20(2):176-81.
Comment in Current Biology: 'Brain connectivity: finding a cause' (Lepage JF, Théoret H. 2010 Jan 26;20(2):R66-7)
12. Duque J, Davare M, Delaunay L, Jacob B, Saur F, Hummel L, Hermoye B, Rossion B, Olivier E, Monitoring coordination during bimanual movements; where is the mastermind? Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. 2010 Mar;22(3):526-42.
11. Davare M, Montague K, Olivier E, Rothwell JC, Lemon RN, Ventral premotor to primary motor cortical interactions during object-driven grasp in humans. Cortex. 2009 Oct;45(9):1050-7.
10. Vandermeeren Y, Davare M, Olivier E, Reorganization of cortical hand representation in congenital hemiplegia. Eur J of Neurosci. 2009 Feb;29(4):845-54.
9. Collignon O, Davare M, Olivier E, De Volder AG, Reorganisation of the Right Occipito-Parietal Stream for Auditory Spatial Processing in Early Blind Humans. A Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Study. Brain Topogr. 2009 May;21(3-4):232-40.
8. Davare M, Lemon RN, Olivier E (2008) Selective modulation of interactions between ventral premotor cortex and primary motor cortex during precision grasping in humans. J Physiol. 2008 Jun 1;586(Pt 11):2735-42.
- Faculty of 1000 Biology evaluation: Mark Hallett (April 2008)
7. Collignon O, Davare M, De Volder AG, Poirier C, Olivier E, Veraart C, Time-course of Posterior Parietal and Occipital Cortex Contribution to Sound Localization. J Cogn Neurosci. 2008 Aug;20(8):1454-63.
6. Davare M, Andres M, Clerget E, Thonnard JL, Olivier E, Temporal dissociation between hand shaping and grip force scaling in the anterior intraparietal area. J Neurosci. 2007 Apr 11;27(15):3974-80.
5. Davare M, Duque J, Vandermeeren Y, Thonnard JL, Olivier E (2007) Role of the Ipsilateral Primary Motor Cortex in Controlling the Timing of Hand Muscle Recruitment. Cereb Cortex. 2007. Feb 17:353-362.
4. Olivier E, Davare M, Andres M, Fadiga L, Precision grasping in humans: from motor control to cognition. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2007 Dec;17(6):644-8.
3. Davare M, Andres M, Cosnard G, Thonnard JL, Olivier E, Dissociating the role of ventral and dorsal premotor cortex in precision grasping. J Neurosci. 2006 Feb 22;26(8):2260-8.
- J Neurosci Journal Club on this paper: Chouinard PA (2006) Different Roles of PMv and PMd during Object Lifting. J. Neurosci. June 26(2):6397-6398
- Faculty of 1000 Biology evaluation: Mark Hallett (2006) http://www.f1000biology.com/article/id/1018754/evaluation
2. Zosso D, Noirhomme Q, Davare M, Macq B, Olivier E, Thiran JP and De Craene M (2006) Normalization of transcranial magnetic stimulation points by means of atlas registration, in: 14th European Signal Processing Conference, EUSIPCO Proceedings, Florence, Italy, September.
1. Andres M, Davare M, Pesenti M, Olivier E, Seron X (2004) Number magnitude and grip aperture interaction. Neuroreport. Dec 22;15(18):2773-7.