UCL Institute of Neurology
- IoN HOME
- About the Institute
- Study Here
- Research Departments
- Department of Brain Repair & Rehabilitation
- Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy
- Department of Clinical Neuroscience
- Department of Molecular Neuroscience
- Department of Neurodegenerative Disease
- Department of Neuroinflammation
- Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders
- Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience
- Services & Library
- Vacancies and PhD Projects
- Contact Us
- National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Support Us
- IoN Intranet
- Department Home
- Postgraduate Training and Studentships
- Engineering Design
- Unit of Functional Neurosurgery
- Emeritus Staff
Central Design and Engineering Facility (CDEF)
The CDEF is a new initiative providing engineering support to the biomedical research of the Institute of Neurology. The facility provides a full design and manufacturing service, where researchers are able present their scientific problem and will receive a complete engineering solution. This CDEF comprises a small team of engineers with experience in electronic and electro-mechanical design, in the field of scientific research.
The CDEF is a registered UCL research facility which can be accessed by all research groups for an hourly charge out rate. Click here (UCL Finance) for further details.
"Contact us if you are about to submit a grant proposal. We are able to offer technical advice and prepare estimates for the cost of your equipment which can form part of your submission"
Key Competencies: · Electro-mechanical system level design, manufacture and testing
· Design and fabrication of electronic circuits and interconnects
· Design and manufacture of mechanical components
· Software programming for high level and embedded, mixed signal control systems
· System assembly and testing
· Management of sub-contracted engineering services
· Maintenance and repair of existing research equipment
· Safety testing
· IPR protection and commercial exploitation of research
"The CDEF can help at all stages of the research project lifecycle, from concept, to the possible exploitation of research outcomes"
The Central Design and Engineering Facility have in-house workshops for mechanical machining, electronics fabrication and testing and general assembly in QSH and 33 Queen Square.
The CDEF is staffed by a three fulltime engineers specialising in both electronics and mechanical engineering. The staff members are professionally qualified and have many years of experience in the field of engineering R&D, in research institutions and industry.
For all enquiries please contact
Daniel Voyce Senior Research Engineer & Manager CDEF
Tel: 0203 448 4334
Fax: 0207 813 3107
Mobile: 07941 870 456