2012 IoN News Archive
- Hereditary Whispering Dystonia gene identified
- Belgian Stroke Council Award to UCL student
- Professor Nicholas Wood appointed as neuroscience programme director for UCLH NIHR Biomedical Research Centre (BRC)
- UCL neuroscientists awarded highly competitive ERC Advanced Grants
- Drugs could provide new treatment for epilepsy
- Breakthrough in the treatment of drug-resistant epilepsy
- UCL Institute of Neurology enters gene-editing research collaboration with Horizon Discovery
- Lifetime achievement award for Professor Thompson’s MS work
- New biography of Gowers released
- Repurposed cardiac sodium channel blocker brings significant benefit for patients with a rare neuromuscular disease
- Toxic protein build-up in blood shines light on fatal brain disease
- Professor Lees receives prestigious German Society of Neurology award
- Cause of Alternating Hemiplegia identified
- Dr John Morgan-Hughes
- Results from stroke treatment study are in top 10 of Lancet’s most highly cited papers
- Skin patch improves attention span in stroke patients
- Genetic study identifies treatable pathway in childhood motor neuron disease
- Awards and congratulations
- Medical Photographer Wins Wellcome Image Awards
- Prestigious Junior Investigator Award for stroke research
- Unlocking the mysteries of the mind
- Official unveiling of Neuroimaging Centre
- Professor Simon Shorvon appointed Harveian librarian at the Royal College of Physicians
- Parliamentary Group Visit the Institute
- Cultural Consultation Service website launches
- Clinical Teaching Awards 2011/12
- Prestigious European Science Foundation networking grant awarded to Institute of Neurology professor
- International project to determine vascular contribution to neurodegeneration begins
- Prime Minister visits UCL Institute of Neurology
- Professor Ray Dolan gives the prestigious Alan Turing Lecture
- The Performing Brain – A moving story? Friday 16th March
- Are we hard wired to be rebellious?
- Detecting stroke
- Queen Square Clinical Trial Centre launched
- New funding to preserve unique archives
- Major new funding for research into epilepsy is announced
- Professor Ray Dolan elected Fellow of the APS
- New Years Honours
- Brain Implant Cures Woman's Tourette's Tics
Awards and congratulations
27 June 2012
Extracts from the Provost's newsletter.
"Warmest congratulations this week to:
Professor Cathy Price of the Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging at UCL on the award, by the jury of the IPSEN Foundation, of the Neuropsychology Prize for 2012 (20,000 €) for her outstanding contribution to the domain of reading and writing.
The citation records that her research has had a highly significant impact on the development of the field. Previous winners include Nobel prize-winner (and member of UCL’s Sainsbury-Wellcome Centre International Governing Body) Eric Kandel (1992), and UCL colleagues (Dame) Uta Frith (2003) and Faraneh Vargha-Khadem (2006).
The neurobiology of motivation in health and disease. Joint senior investigator awards: UCL Neurodegenerative Disease and Dr Victor Tybulewicz, Department of Immune Cell Biology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research: Understanding Down Syndrome phenotypes through innovative mouse genetics. [snip] UCL is now the most successful university in these Wellcome competitive awards."
Double for the Institute of Neurology
Professor John Hardy, and Professor Andrew Lees scored a double for the Reta Lila Weston Institute for Neurological Studies at the ION by being awarded the two prestigious key note Presidential Lectures at the 16th International Congress of Parkinson's disease and Movement Disorders held on 20th June 2012 in Dublin.
Professor Lees delivered the Stanley Fahn Lecture entitled “The Edgelands of the Shaking Palsy”, given for outstanding clinical achievement in the field of Movement Disorders. Professor Hardy gave the David Marsden Lecture on “Using Genetic Analyses to get at the biology of Parkinson's disease”. The congress had a record attendance of more than 4,500 delegates.
Page last modified on 27 jun 12 09:24