We Need to Talk About This: illusion of separation between us
May 06, 2017 11:00 AM
End: May 06, 2017 05:00 PM
Location: UCL Institute of Education, 20 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AL
There are surprisingly few opportunities for art educators in universities and those in secondary schools and further education to share and discuss respective approaches to teaching and learning. ‘We Need to Talk About This’ is a seminar series that seeks to redress the separation of art educators into qualification-bound silos.
By examining the conditions and values of pedagogy both within and beyond institutional frameworks, this first seminar aims to:
- develop a deeper understanding of steps that can be taken to improve continuity and wider participation in the arts; and,
- improve curriculum relevance, authenticity and student inclusion in art education.
We Need to Talk About This… and we hope that you will join us in a conversational day with the following speakers / panel members:
- Tim Bolton, Vice Principle (academic), Plymouth College of Arts
- (Yet to be confirmed) Teacher from Plymouth School of Creative Arts
- Annie Davey, MA Tutor, UCL Institute of Education (IOE)
- Dean Kenning, Research Fellow, Kingston School of Art
- Kieren Reed, Director fo Undergraduate Studies, UCL School of Fine Art
- Claire Robins, Reader in Art and Education, IOE
- Christiane Shepherd, Teacher of Art & Design, Highgate Wood School
This event is free and lunch will be provided but places are limited. To book a place please email Josephine Borradaile at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MA Art and Design in Education exhibition will also be open for viewing.
Watch again on YouTube
- We need to talk about this… Morning Session
- We need to talk about this… Tim Bolton
- We need to talk about this… Dean Kenning
- We Need to Talk About This: second seminar (14 July 2017)
- MA Art and Design in Education exhibition 2017
- Department of Culture, Communication and Media (CCM)