Literacy learning in the early years of
primary school lays foundations for all future learning and
development. 'Literacy Foundations' is a collection of one day
professional development courses for those preparing children for early
'Literacy Foundations' is developed from the best available evidence and theory about early literacy learning. It is based on a socio-cultural perspective of child-centred learning and development, promoting the child as a competent learner and active agent in his own development.
- Literacy Foundations: Visible learning and invisible teaching (for setting/KS leaders)
- Literacy Foundations: Principles, progression and application of phonics and phonological awareness
- Literacy Foundations: From mark making to writing
- Literacy Foundations: Talk for learning
- Literacy Foundations: Learning to be a reader, sharing and choosing books
- Literacy Foundations: Developing comprehension using picture books
- Literacy Foundations: Beyond the baseline, observing and assessing literacy
The goal of each professional learning day is to develop participants' understanding of relevant educational theory through practical approaches for the class or setting.
Select single sessions or book a number of days as continuing professional learning. Options include attending the advertised course dates at UCL Institute of Education or arranging for training of groups in a school cluster or local authority - contact us to discuss a bespoke programme.