UCL Grand Challenge of Intercultural Interaction
- About Our Work
- Small Grant Activities
- Research Expertise
- Getting Involved
- Contact Us
- What can a Grand Challenges Small Grant achieve for you?
Click below to share this pageTweet
- UCL Grand Challenges are offering the opportunity for all
UCL research students to apply to this year’s week long Summer School. Application deadline: 28 February 2014
- What can a Grand Challenges Small Grant achieve for you? Outcome report from David Wengrow (UCL Archaeology) and Karen Radner (UCL History)
- Sign up here for the GCII newsletter
- Minutes from GCII's Executive Group Meetings are available from this website
- Update on UCL Connections - the winning project from the Digital Humanities Prize Workshop
- Building Virtual Transcontinental Student Links supported via Grand Challenges Student Fund
How it all began – the origin of the universe
5pm-7pm, Thursday, 23 June 2011
A V Hill Lecture Theatre, Medical Sciences and Anatomy Building
Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT
Chair: Serge Plattard, Councillor, Science and Technology, French Embassy
Origin of the universe: How science is dealing with this problem? How can we observe the very early universe?
Jean-Loup Puget, Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale, Orsay
The mystery of the accelerating Universe: Is it dark energy or something else?
Ofer Lahav, UCL Physics and Astronomy, International Science Committee of the Dark Energy Survey
How the Universe came into existence is a subject of strong international scientific interest, involving widely different methodologies, from the creation and study of antimatter in the CERN particle physics laboratory (major progress announced on 6 June 2011), to the work of astrophysicists Jean-Loup Puget and Ofer Lahav, who will give presentations at this discussion.
Like the CERN laboratory, the work of both speakers attests to one of the great success stories of intercultural interaction (the subject of UCL's third Grand Challenge) - that of massive ('big science') projects that require the widest possible international collaboration for their success.
This event is free but registration is required
Page last modified on 13 jun 11 16:09