UCL Grand Challenge of Intercultural Interaction
Click below to share this pageTweet
- Forced Marriage: Health, Wellbeing, Community and Law 31 July 2015
- Apply for a 2015-16 Grand Challenges Small Grant: Up to £4,000 available
- UCL Grand Challenges Research Summer School 2015
- UCL researchers: Why contribute to The Conversation?
- Building Virtual Transcontinental Student Links supported via Grand Challenges Student Fund
Migration, Law and the Image: Beyond the Veil of Ignorance
5pm-7.30pm, Thursday 16 June 2011
Christopher Ingold Chemistry Lecture Theatre, Christopher Ingold Building,
20 Gordon Street, London, WC1H 0AJ
Speaker Professor W.J.T Mitchell, Professor of English and Art History, University of Chicago
Chair and convenor Dr Federica Mazzara (UCL Italian)
Respondents Professor Parvati Nair (Queen Mary), Professor of Hispanic Cultural Studies and Head of the Queen Mary Centre for the Study of Migration and Dr Ingrid Boccardi (UCL Laws).
Examining a range of examples from science fiction narratives of alien species, to stories of conquest, colonization, and ethnic cleansing, to the development of contemporary practices of detention and border policing, the lecture will argue that immigration in our time has ceased to be a merely transitional phase in human life, and threatens to become a permanent condition for growing numbers of people.
UCL Grand Challenges (Intercultural Interaction), Queen Mary Centre for
the Study of Migration, UCL Faculty of Arts and Humanities, UCL School
of European Languages, Culture and Society and UCL Global Migration
Page last modified on 27 jan 12 18:29