UCL Grand Challenge of Intercultural Interaction
Click below to share this pageTweet
Published: Apr 21, 2016 10:20:47 AM
- African Voices: Co-producing knowledge about Africa with African colleagues on the continent and in the diaspora
- 2015-16 Small Grant Winners
- UCL researchers: Why contribute to The Conversation?
- Building Virtual Transcontinental Student Links supported via Grand Challenges Student Fund
Destination London: Writing Cities from Eastern Europe
19 October - 7 November 2009
Destination London is a series of public events, which mark the completion of the East Looks West travel writing project.
East Looks West
East Looks West: East European Travel Writing on European Identities and Divisions, 1600 - 2000
was a multi-annual project at UCL, researching, developing resources
and publishing work on East European travel writing, 1600-2000 and
beyond. The project addressed the general need to re-examine what we
mean by national and regional identity in post cold-war Europe through
an assessment of East European travel texts. At a time when both Eastern
and Western European identities are increasingly in flux, and the
concept of Europe and its political enlargement constitute a major
intellectual and political concern, it aimed to generate a nuanced
understanding of the development of ideas of Europe's limits and
divisions - and their consequences. Funding for this project has been
generously provided by the Arts and Humanities Research Board, the Modern Humanities Research Association, the Leverhulme Trust, the British Academy and the British Council.
Destination London comprises a number of events to present and reflect on this research project. They include:
- A Reception to launch the 'East Looks West' books edited by Wendy Bracewell and Alex Drace-Francis
- An Evening of Readings and Discussion exploring east European perspectives on London and different approaches to writing about the city, with writers Kapka Kassabova, Vesna Marić, Andrea Pisac, Borivoj Radaković, Iain Sinclair and Vitali Vitaliev
- The Destination London Podcasts
- The Balkanising Bloomsbury Public Writing Workshop
- A Two-Day Writing Workshop for School Students with Vesna Marić
- A Radio Programme on Resonance 104.4fm including interviews and excerpts of Destination London events.
- Public Engagement Workshops for UCL and CEELBAS Arts and Humanities Postgraduates.
Page last modified on 31 jan 12 11:30