UCL Grand Challenge of Intercultural Interaction
- About Our Work
- Small Grant Activities
- Research Expertise
- Getting Involved
- Contact Us
Published: Dec 11, 2013 9:15:21 PM
- Sign up here for the GCII newsletter
- 16 December 2013: Dynamics of Civilisation along the Qara Dagh Range: Perspectives on the archaeology, history and palaeoenvironment of Iraqi Kurdistan
- Minutes from GCII's Executive Group Meetings are available from this website
- Update on UCL Connections - the winning project from the Digital Humanities Prize Workshop
- Building Virtual Transcontinental Student Links supported via Grand Challenges Student Fund
Wonderments of Cosmos: a Trans-Disciplinary Conversation on
Supported by UCL Grand Challenge of Intercultural Interaction
2-6pm, Friday, 21 June 2013
Daryll Forde Seminar Room, 2nd Floor, UCL Anthropology, 14 Taviton Street
2pm Welcome Martin Holbraad, (UCL Anthropology and workshop convenor) and introductions
First round of presentations:
2.15 Jonathan Butterworth (UCL Physics & Astronomy)
'The Wonderment of Particle Physics'
2.25 Allen Abramson (UCL Anthropology)
'Cosmos Culturally Ascendant, Society Inside-Out; or, Why Cosmology Increasingly Catches On Despite the Fact that "Ordinary People" Never Quite Get the Hang of it.'
2.35 Andrew Gregory (UCL Science & Technology Studies)
'Ancient and Early Modern Wonderment'
2.45 Israel Sandman (UCL Hebrew & Jewish Studies)
'Cosmology and Rational Mysticism in the Middle Ages'
2.55 Melanie Jackson (UCL Slade School of Fine Art)
3.25 Tea/coffee break
Second round of presentations:
3.35 Martin Holbraad (UCL Anthropology)
'The Relevance of Cosmos: Particles and Origins in Afro-Cuban Religions'
3.45 Ofer Lahav (UCL Physics & Astronomy)
'The unknown 95% of the Universe'
3.55 Ilana Wartenberg (Hebrew & Jewish Studies)
'Cosmology within medieval Hebrew treatises on astronomy and the Jewish calendar'
4.05 Dina Gusejnova (UCL History)
'Cosmonauts of the steppes, astronauts of the Atlantic? Baikonur and Kourou as penal peripheries and cosmic centres'
4.45 Tea/coffee break
5.00 Roundtable discussion / drinks
Page last modified on 25 jun 13 12:54