UCL Grand Challenge of Intercultural Interaction
- About Our Work
- Small Grant Activities
- Research Expertise
- Getting Involved
- Contact Us
- What can a Grand Challenges Small Grant achieve for you?
Click below to share this pageTweet
Published: May 15, 2014 10:13:42 AM
- Watch the short film Celebrating the Grand Challenges
- Highlights from the Celebrating the Grand Challenges review evening
- UCL researchers: Why contribute to The Conversation?
- 2014-15 Small Grant awards
- What can a Grand Challenges Small Grant achieve for you? Outcome report from David Wengrow (UCL Archaeology) and Karen Radner (UCL History)
- Building Virtual Transcontinental Student Links supported via Grand Challenges Student Fund
Wonderments of Cosmos: a Trans-Disciplinary Conversation on
Supported by UCL Grand Challenge of Intercultural Interaction
2-6pm, Friday, 21 June 2013
Daryll Forde Seminar Room, 2nd Floor, UCL Anthropology, 14 Taviton Street
2pm Welcome Martin Holbraad, (UCL Anthropology and workshop convenor) and introductions
First round of presentations:
2.15 Jonathan Butterworth (UCL Physics & Astronomy)
'The Wonderment of Particle Physics'
2.25 Allen Abramson (UCL Anthropology)
'Cosmos Culturally Ascendant, Society Inside-Out; or, Why Cosmology Increasingly Catches On Despite the Fact that "Ordinary People" Never Quite Get the Hang of it.'
2.35 Andrew Gregory (UCL Science & Technology Studies)
'Ancient and Early Modern Wonderment'
2.45 Israel Sandman (UCL Hebrew & Jewish Studies)
'Cosmology and Rational Mysticism in the Middle Ages'
2.55 Melanie Jackson (UCL Slade School of Fine Art)
3.25 Tea/coffee break
Second round of presentations:
3.35 Martin Holbraad (UCL Anthropology)
'The Relevance of Cosmos: Particles and Origins in Afro-Cuban Religions'
3.45 Ofer Lahav (UCL Physics & Astronomy)
'The unknown 95% of the Universe'
3.55 Ilana Wartenberg (Hebrew & Jewish Studies)
'Cosmology within medieval Hebrew treatises on astronomy and the Jewish calendar'
4.05 Dina Gusejnova (UCL History)
'Cosmonauts of the steppes, astronauts of the Atlantic? Baikonur and Kourou as penal peripheries and cosmic centres'
4.45 Tea/coffee break
5.00 Roundtable discussion / drinks
Page last modified on 25 jun 13 12:54