UCL Institute of Healthy Ageing IHA News
- Nazif Alic
- A Scholar's Life for me
- A Visit from Glenlola Collegiate School
- Arne Akbar
- Nature Paper published
- Changing of the Guard in C. elegans lab
- Holiday School Visit
- Congratulations to Li Li
- Thanks from Nature...
- Gordon Research Conference 2012
- Darwin's Birthday Party 2012
- Congratulations Tosin ...
- Well Done Sahar!
- Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition 2012
- Cheltenham Science Festival 2012
- Congratulations to Dr Matt Piper ...
- Ekin Bolukbasi - Chicago Conference
- Matt Piper - Lisbon
- Helena Cocheme - Nature Protocols paper
- Congratulations to Dr Daniel Pearce ...
- David Gems - Moscow conference
- Jorge Ivan Castillo-Quan
- IHA - success for our students
- RS SSE 2012 - 'Why Fly?'
- Congratulations to Sahar Emran ...
- Fiona Kerr - Alzheimer's Association International Conference highlights
- New WT Senior Research Fellow post in the IHA
- IHA at the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition 2012
- Congratulations to Professor David Gems
- A bientot Matt and Bill
- Hearing impaired students visit the IHA
- Healthy Ageing exhibition news
- Congratulations to Dr Ivana Bjedov
- New WTSA for the IHA!!
- New roles for the Partridge and Gems labs
- PLoS One paper for Dr Cathy Slack
- 3 year Bioinformatics PhD studentship now available
- Congratulations to Dr Nuria Vergara
- Welcome to Michael Wright ...
- Sahar Emran awarded bursary by Biochemical Society
- MRes in Biology of Ageing and Age-related disease
- Watch Dr Matt Piper's Lunchtime Lecture
- Explore Ageing Research with Dr Matt Piper at the Royal Society Café Scientifique
- Wellcome Trust Packed Lunch Podcast with Dr Matt Piper
- Watch the IHA Harlem Shake!
- Gems Lab News Winter Roundup
- Dr Jennifer Regan: Immunity, Ageing and Gender – Why is Life Deadlier for the Male? March 22nd
- Congratulations to Tosin Taiwo
- Carolina Soto Palma to attend The Times Cheltenham Science Festival
- Giovanna Vinti awarded UCL Green Impact Award
- IHA Race for Life teams kicks off with Bake Sale
- Hear Prof Dame Linda Partridge speak on BBC Radio 4's Life Scientific
- Congratulations to Charlotte Beaver on passing her PhD viva!
- Cell Review: The Hallmarks of Aging
- Analysing Variation in Drosophila Ageing Across Independent Experimental Studies
- Congratulations to the IHA Race for Life team
- Cassandra Coburn discusses her PLOS Biology paper on Romanian TV
- Gems Lab News Summer Roundup
- Daniel Pearce, Stephan Beck and Tosin Taiwo paper to be published in Epigenetics
- Prof Dame Linda Partridge features in 'A Life in the Day', Sunday Times Magazine
- More coverage on Death Fluorescence in the news
- Crick Late at the Science Museum
- I'm a Scientist, Get me out of here!
- Gems Lab News - Winter Roundup
- Watch the IHA's Dr Oyinkansola Adesakin discuss her Alzheimer's Society Fellowship
- Cell Reports paper published "Cell-Nonautonomous Effects of dFOXO/DAF-16 in Aging"
- PLOS Genetics paper published today "DAF-16/FoxO Directly Regulates an Atypical AMP- Activated Protein Kinase Gamma Isoform to Mediate the Effects of Insulin/IGF-1 Signaling on Aging in Caenorhabditis elegans"
- Dr Jorge Iván Castillo Quan receives Faculty Prize
- 4 year PhD studentship in the IHA available
- Prof David Gems on BBC1's 'Bang Goes The Theory' 31/03/2014
- Sahar Emran has paper published in Aging
- Race for Life!
- New Wellcome Trust video 'Until' features IHA scientists
- Knudra Transgenics prize success for IHA
- Science Paper published
- Congratulations to Adam Dobson
- Gems Lab Summer Roundup
- Dr Nazif Alic paper published in PLOS Genetics
- IHA MRes students to receive Distinctions in their degrees!
- Dr Nazif Alic on the The Naked Scientists
- IHA Director Prof Linda Partridge honoured with BBSRC Excellence Award
- Linda Partridge to speak at Nobel Week Dialogue, Live streaming and Q&A
- Dr Nazif Alic paper published in Royal Society Proceedings B
- Wellcome Trust Conference - Healthy Ageing: From Molecules to Organisms
- Help support the IHA Race for Life team!
- Brain paper published by Partridge Lab
- Dr Jorge Ivan Castillo Quan - Anti-Aging: Beauty or Health?
- New article by David Gems!
- Institute of Healthy Ageing hosts BSRA Annual Meeting
- Talks from Gems Lab at International C. elegans Meeting
- Cell paper reveals how a cancer drug makes fruit flies live longer
- Jorge Ivan Castillo Quan on Anti-Ageing research
- Memory Matters at the British Library
- Dr Jennifer Regan's paper on sex difference in ageing gut pathology published in eLIFE
- Congratulations to Dr Jorge Ivan Castillo Quan on his Cell Reports paper
- Lectureship for Alexandre Benedetto
- ARUK funded post-doc position available at the IHA
- Congratulations to Dr Teresa Niccoli on her paper in Current Biology
Congratulations to Dr Teresa Niccoli whose paper "Increased Glucose Transport into Neurons Rescues Ab Toxicity in Drosophila" has just been published in Current Biology by Cell Press. More...
Published: Aug 17, 2016 3:05:35 PM
The Institute of Healthy Ageing is currently seeking a post-doctoral research associate to work on the following ARUK-funded project.
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and frontotemporal dementia (FTD) are two devastating, mid-life, neurodegenerative disorders for which no cure is currently available. Large expansions of a hexanucleotide GGGGCC-repeat in the first intron of the C9orf72 gene is the most common genetic cause of both ALS and FTD. We recently developed novel Drosophila models of C9orf72 repeat-induced neurodegeneration (Mizielinska et al Science 2014, 345:1192-1194).
This 3-year post-doctoral position will build on this work by investigating disease mechanisms in a range of C9orf72 fly lines using several approaches including genome-wide transcriptomic and translational analyses in both flies and iPSC-neurons. You will work as part of a collaborative team of investigators in the excellent and supportive scientific research community of UCL.
The post is funded for 3 years in the first instance by Alzheimer’s Research UK and is available from October 2016.
For full information and to apply please visit the UCL website at https://goo.gl/E5vk8j
Published: Aug 11, 2016 2:27:25 PM
Until recently an EU-funded postdoc in David Gems's lab, Alex Benedetto will shortly set up his own laboratory at the University of Lancaster, in the Department of Biomedical and Life Sciences. There he will continue his investigations of the biology of ageing in model organisms, particularly C. elegans. We wish Alex all the best in setting up his new lab! More...
Published: Jul 20, 2016 2:10:01 PM
RS SSE 2012 - 'Why Fly?'
2 July 2012
As part of the work for the IHA's exhibit at the 2012 Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition, the team has produced a film to answer the burning questions:
- Why use flies as your model organisms?
- Alternative career if you had not been a scientist?
To view the film, please go to You Tube
Page last modified on 02 jul 12 10:03