Critical appraisal resources
We have provided a list of books and websites you may find useful as an
aid to critically appraising a research paper.
- CASP The Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP) was set up as a programme within Learning & Development at the Public Health Resource Unit, Oxford. CASP aims to enable individuals to develop the skills to find and make sense of research evidence. The website gives access to critical appraisal checklists which guide the appraisal of a systematic review, observational study, or experimental study.
- Centre for Evidence Based Medicine The CEBM in Oxford is one of several centres around the country whose broad aim is to promote evidence-based health care and provide support and resources to anyone who wants to make use of them. The website contains a useful introduction to Evidence Based Medicine, as well as downloads and EBM tools.
- Canadian Centre for Health Evidence - Users guides to the medical literature The Centre for Health Evidence is a not-for-profit organization based at the University of Alberta. We are dedicated to helping health organizations and associations find and apply best evidence in daily practice. We work on a project basis, and use a variety of communication and information technologies to create decision support tools and services
- The Consort Statement Website CONSORT, which stands for Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials, encompasses various initiatives developed by the CONSORT Group to alleviate the problems arising from inadequate reporting of randomized controlled trials (RCTs).The main product of CONSORT is the CONSORT Statement, which is an evidence-based, minimum set of recommendations for reporting RCTs. It offers a standard way for authors to prepare reports of trial findings, facilitating their complete and transparent reporting, and aiding their critical appraisal and interpretation
- The GATE Frame: Critical Appraisal with Pictures The Graphical Appraisal Tool for Epidemiological Studies (GATE) aims to help practitioners to visualise an entire study as well as the component parts.
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network - checklists SIGN develops evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for the NHS in Scotland. The checklists cover appraisal of various study types including systematic reviews, RCTs, cohort studies, case-control studies and diagnostic studies
- Barton B and Peat J Medical statistics a guide to SPSS, data analysis, and critical appraisal (2nd ed.) Blackwell, 2014. Shelfmark: WA 950 PEA
- Crombie I The pocket guide to critical appraisal a handbook for health care professionals BMJ, 1996. Shelfmark: WA 950 CRO
- DiCenso A Evidence based nursing: a guide to clinical practice Elsevier Mosby, 2005. Shelfmark: WA 950 DIC
- Egger M, Smith GD, Altman DG Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context BMJ Books, 2001 This is a popular introduction to the science of reviewing biomedical research. It contains chapters devoted to performing and appraising systematic reviews, and the application of systematic reviews in clinical guidelines development. Shelfmark: WA 950 EGG
- Gehlbach S Interpreting the medical literature McGraw-Hill, Medical Pub. Division, 2006. Shelfmark: GLOBAL HEALTH HV7 GEH
- Gosall NK and Gosall GS The doctor's guide to critical appraisal (4th ed) PasTest, 2015. Shelfmark: WA 950 GOS
- Greenhalgh T How to read a paper (5th ed) BMJ Books, 2014. This is a clear and comprehensive introduction to the usefulness and potential applications of evidence based medicine in the clinical setting. It gives guidance on how to find a research paper, assess it, and put the findings into practice. Shelfmark: WA 950 GRE
- Guyatt G, Rennie D (Eds) Users’ guides to the medical literature. A manual for evidence-based clinical practice (3rd ed) McGraw Hill Education, 2015. This is a comprehensive guide to evidence-based practice, containing case scenarios and clinical examples of evidence-based practice, how to search for the best evidence, and how to apply it to your clinical practice. Shelfmark: WA 950 GUY
- Hamer S Achieving evidence-based practice a handbook for practitioners (2nd ed) Baillière Tindall Elsevier, 2005. Shelfmark: WA 950 HAM
- Hewitt-Taylor, J Clinical guidelines and care protocols Whurr, 2006. Shelfmark: WA950 HEW
- LoBiondo-Wood, Geri Nursing research methods and critical appraisal for evidence-based practice (8th ed) Mosby, 2014. Shelfmark: WY 30 LOB
- Meates M, Duperrex O, Gilbert R, Logan S Practising evidence-based child health Radcliffe Medical Press, 2000. This manual outlines a course for clinicians on how to practise evidence-based child health, including guidance on critical appraisal of the evidence. Shelfmark: WA 950 STR