MRC Centre of Epidemiology for Child Health
The mission of the centre is to:
- improve the health and wellbeing of children through interdisciplinary collaborative research that addresses questions central to clinical practice, public health and public policy.
- understand how biological, genetic, developmental, environmental and social factors during early life influence the health and wellbeing of children and adults.
- improve the scientific basis for strategies to prevent, diagnose and treat diseases that affect children and the adults they will become.
- increase research capacity by providing training in epidemiology, biostatistics and public health applied to children.
- provide an independent source of scientific expertise on children's health.
Our mission – healthier children, healthier adults
Our mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of children. To achieve this, our research focuses on answering questions about children’s health that relate to both clinical practice and public health.
We collect and analyse a wide range of information about different populations of children and their families. This provides scientific evidence to improve children's health and wellbeing, and prevent, diagnose and treat conditions that might affect children and the adults will become.
An interdisciplinary approach
We believe that there is immense value in working together with those
from other disciplines to pursue our research. This approach ensures
that the latest developments and insights from clinical, population health, and
social and life sciences can be rapidly applied for the benefit of children, and
that our research is valuable to those developing health and public
Staff in our centre come from a wide range of disciplines and actively seek to collaborate with leading researchers from other disciplines across UCL, nationally and internationally.
A critical mass of expertise
We are fortunate to have a large number of internationally recognised experts in paediatric epidemiology and biostatistics within our centre. It is the largest such grouping in the UK.
Links that enable important collaborations
As a part of UCL, and as a department within the world-renowned UCL Institute of Child Health (ICH), we are well placed to collaborate with leaders in child health research both in the UK and internationally. ICH has a long-standing association with Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, and together the two institutions constitute the largest concentration of child health specialists outside of the USA.
Read more about our collaborations and research networks.
Page last modified on 12 oct 12 14:08