- Metallography Short Course Held at UCL
- New website launched
- New IAMS-funded students
- Professor Rothenberg Obituary
- NARNIA Cyprus 2012
- IAMS at the ISA in Leuven
- IAMS Summer School 2012 Success
- Congratulations to New PhD Graduates
- IAMS members present at BANEA
- IAMS to offer funding for Timna conference
- Timna Conference Review
- HMS 50th Anniversary Conference
- Summer School 2013 A Resounding Success
- BUMA VIII
- Professor Izumi Shimada's visit to IAMS
- Archaeometallurgy student bursaries
- Archaeometallurgy student bursaries 2016/17
- Rio Tinto sponsorship of Terracotta Army project
- Jasmine Vieri awarded IAMS student bursary 2015-2016.
- 2016 IAMS Summer School programme
NARNIA Cyprus 2012
14 May 2012
Fourteen UCL students have recently participated in a course on the archaeometallurgy of Cyprus hosted by the NARNIA project in Nicosia.
A strong delegation of UCL students represented IAMS in the early career training course held between the 7th and 11th of May 2012 in Nicosia, Cyprus. The students included 6 MSc students from the taught course on the Technology and Analysis of Archaeological Material and 8 PhD research students, two of which are also part of the NARNIA project itself.
The course was a tremendous success students enjoyed some fascinating lectures by some of the best known academics in the field of archaeometallurgy. Site visits to various slag heaps and mines from every period of exploitation followed each day's lectures. These excursion were of special interest to metallurgy as it allowed the delegates to experience a landscape widely altered by mining activity throughout the ages and get their hands dirty by examining remains in situ rather than in a laboratory context.
The final day included a series of copper smelting experimental reconstructions on the site of one of the world's richest copper mines, Skouriotissa, with its 2,000,000 tons of ancient slag.
IAMS would like to congratulate and thank NARNIA for this wonderful course and hope that our joint Summer School will be as successful as this training course.
Page last modified on 14 may 12 15:59