- Metallography Short Course Held at UCL
- New website launched
- New IAMS-funded students
- Professor Rothenberg Obituary
- NARNIA Cyprus 2012
- IAMS at the ISA in Leuven
- IAMS Summer School 2012 Success
- Congratulations to New PhD Graduates
- IAMS members present at BANEA
- IAMS to offer funding for Timna conference
- Timna Conference Review
- HMS 50th Anniversary Conference
- Summer School 2013 A Resounding Success
- BUMA VIII
- Professor Izumi Shimada's visit to IAMS
- Archaeometallurgy student bursaries
- Archaeometallurgy student bursaries 2016/17
- Rio Tinto sponsorship of Terracotta Army project
- Jasmine Vieri awarded IAMS student bursary 2015-2016.
- 2016 IAMS Summer School programme
Details relative to the 2016 IAMS Summer School are now available and registrations are accepted.
For information, please contact Umberto Veronesi (email@example.com)
For the past programmes, please visit the link below
Metallography Short Course Held at UCL
23 February 2012
As part of the training for UCL's graduate students, IAMS has recently hosted a short two-day course on metallography taught by Eleanor Blakelock.
The course covered all aspects of metallography, from the chemistry of metallic microstructures and thermodynamics of both copper and iron alloys, to the more practical steps of acid etching and microscopy. There were two 4 hour class sessions on theory followed by an afternoon of practical work where students got to prepare and etch a sample followed by hands on metallographic analysis. Eleanor was kind enough to provide a wide variety of previously prepared samples for the students to analyse. The course was a great success and IAMS would like to extend their thanks to Eleanor for giving the students such a series of lectures.
Eleanor has recently completed a PhD at Bradford University on iron knife manufacture during the Saxon period and is greatly experienced in the preparation and analysis of metallographic samples. She is also a council member of the Historical Metallurgy Society and involved in many aspects of British metallurgy.
Page last modified on 23 feb 12 17:36