Past IHR Events
- Does Affirmative Action Create Unfair Advantage?
- Workshop on Martha Nussbaum's 'Political Emotions'
- UCL CLP: The dialogic model of constitutionalism and the system of checks and balances
- Gender, Human Rights, and Cultural Relativism. Tackling the Issues of FGM and Gender Violence in Domestic Law
- HIV/AIDS at Work: I.B. v Greece
- UCL CLP - Whither the Margin of Appreciation?
- Is Prolonged Solitary Confinement Cruel and Inhumane?
- Briatian & Europe Series: Refugee Rights in Europe
Is Prolonged Solitary Confinement Cruel and Inhumane? The Experience of California Prisoners
Publication date: Jan 30, 2014 4:54:20 PM
Start: Mar 10, 2014 6:00:00 PM
Location: Bentham House
California holds several thousand prisoners in solitary confinement throughout the state. Over 1000 of these prisoners confined in isolation are at Pelican Bay State Penitentiary. They live in 80 square foot windowless cells, locked in their cells for 22 ½ to 24 hours a day. Hundreds of prisoners have been held in solitary for over a decade, many for over two decades. Last summer, 30,000 California prisoners went on hunger strike in protest over California's use of solitary. This talk will discuss why United States courts have thus far refused to hold that the use of such prolonged solitary confinement constitutes cruel and unusual punishment, why that might change now, and the movement in California to end such use.
- Professor Jules Lobel, Bessie McKee Walthour Endowed Chair Professor, University of Pittsburgh Law School
About the speaker
Professor Jules Lobel is President of the Centre for Constitutional Rights and the Bessie McKee Walthour Endowed Chair Professor at the University of Pittsburgh Law School. On behalf of the Centre, Professor Lobel is lead counsel representing the prisoners at Pelican Bay in a Federal Court class action lawsuit challenging California's use of prolonged solitary confinement. He also argued the U.S. Supreme Court due process case against Ohio's use of solitary in its supermax prison.
Page last modified on 30 jan 14 16:30