Annual leave Guidance: UCL Qatar
1.1 This guidance is designed to inform staff of their annual leave entitlements and clarify arrangements for having annual leave agreed.
2.1 This guidance covers all staff based at UCL Qatar
3. Leave Entitlement
3.1 The leave year runs from 1 October until 30 September. Annual leave will be subject to an entitlement of twenty-seven working days* (pro-rata for part-time staff), additional to such days as UCL is customarily closed and to statutory holidays.
- Leave will be taken at such times as may be arranged in consultation with the Chief Operating Officer/ Director or person deputed by them. No payment will be made in lieu of leave not taken except in respect of the year of termination of employment.
- Leave may not be carried forward to the next leave year without the prior agreement of the Chief Operating Officer/ Director. If agreed, a maximum of five days can normally be carried forward.
- Public and Statutory Holidays
- Staff are entitled to up to an additional fourteen working days which will comprise a mixture of Qatar public/statutory days and UCL closure leave.These will be determined annually by the Chief Operating Officer/Director Public and Statutory Holidays
- The proportion of the holiday period to be granted for service of less than twelve months during a member's first and last holiday years will be as follows:
One or more calendar months employment
1/12th of 27 days for each completed calendar month.
If an employee starts or leaves part way through a month, s/he will receive a proportion of the holiday entitlement for that month - see the part month holiday calculator.
3.7 Fractions of half a day or less will be treated as half a day's annual leave and fractions of more than half a day will be treated as one day's annual leave.
3.8 Members of staff whose religious beliefs require them to be absent on particular days of the year outside the normal statutory holidays must take such days either as unpaid leave, as part of their annual entitlement or make the time up by agreement with the Chief Operating Officer/ Director. See the UCL Qatar guidance on leave for domestic and personal reasons.
4 Part-time staff - pro-rata calculations
4.1 Part-time staff are entitled to the pro-rata equivalent of 27 days annual leave, 8 days public and statutory days and 7 UCL Qatar closure days per year. Some examples of how to calculate pro-rata entitlement are given below. Part days will be rounded up to the nearest half day.
4.2 The following examples are based on the full-time equivalent of 36.5 hours per week, 27 days annual leave
- For part-time staff who have a regular working pattern of less than 5 days per week, the number of pro-rata days for public holidays and UCL Qatar closure days should be added to their annual leave total and a day's leave deducted for any public holidays and UCL Qatar closure days falling within their work pattern.
E.g. a regular working pattern of 3 days per week, Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday each week (60%fte):
8 Statutory & Public days + 7 UCL Qatar closure days = 15 days.
60% of 15 days = 9 days.
27 days annual leave x 60% = 16.2 days.
Total leave = 25.2 days (rounded down to 25 days).
One day's leave must be deducted from this total for any public holidays and UCL Qatar closure days which fall on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. The remaining number of days can be taken as annual leave.
- For part-time staff who work 5 short days per week, there is no need to add their pro-rata entitlement to public and statutory days and UCL Qatar closure days to their annual leave total, as each leave day will be equivalent to their short day. These days will be managed in line with the arrangements for full-time staff.
- For part-time staff who have an irregular working pattern, it may be more practical for annual leave to be expressed in hours rather than days. The pro-rata
entitlement for public and statutory days and UCL Qatar closure days should be added to their annual leave total and the appropriate number of hours deducted for any public and statutory days and UCL Qatar closure days falling within their working pattern.
e.g. a member of staff who works 60% FTE
Statutory & Public days + UCL Qatar closure days = 14 days x 7.3 hours = 102.2 hours
60% of 102.2 hours = 61.32 hours.
27 days annual leave x 7.3 hours x 60% = 118.26 hours.
Total leave = 183.96 hours (rounded up to 184 hours).
The appropriate number of hours must be deducted from this total for any public and statutory holidays and UCL Qatar closure days which fall within the planned working pattern. The remainder to be taken as annual leave.
HR Policy and Planning