Home Feedback About Us Staff Benefits Tax and NI How to reduce your Tax / NI liability Payroll service level agreements Pay dates and cut-off dates Staff from overseas Students Casual Workers Payroll Forms Self Assessment Contact Us Pension Services HR Home

HR Payroll Service : Staff from Overseas

Staff from Overseas Coming from overseas to the UK can be confusing with many different tax regimes, social security implications and forms to complete. This section aims to assist you with finding information on these topics and will ensure that the Payroll department at UCL has been informed of all the relevant information to allow us to set up your payroll records accurately.


Paying into a UK Bank Account

Payroll Services can pay your salary into a UK bank account or building society. We are currently unable to make electronic payments overseas. Therefore staff are required to set up a UK bank account for this purpose. To facilitate this, we offer a bank introductory letter. Please see here for further guidance on obtaining an introductory letter.


If you are coming from overseas to the UK you will need to complete a P46:


Please return this form to Payroll Services, UCL, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT.

Further information regarding employees from overseas can be found on the following HMRC http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/employees/start-leave/special/from-abroad.htm

If and when you leave the UK, you may be entitled to a refund of tax paid. For further information visit the HMRC webpage.


If you are coming from overseas to work in the UK you should apply for a National Insurance Number. This number is a unique identifier for you, and will allow any social security benefits that you may be entitled to, to accrue against your record. Please see here for further guidance.

There may be circumstances where you will be paying social security contributions in an EU country, and do not therefore need to pay contributions in the UK. Similarly, there may be circumstances where you are paying social security contributions (National Insurance contributions) in the UK and do not need to pay contributions in another country. Please contact Payroll Services for more information regarding National Insurance liability.

For more information on coming to work in the UK from overseas, please see the HMRC webpage .